Monday, September 10, 2012

What I Want in a Husband, Part 3

Lately I've been thinking about my list -- you know, the What I Want in a Husband list.  Over the last few months, I've realized that something significant is missing from it, and it is this:  I want a husband who believes that everyone on this earth really is a child of God, and because of that innate divinity, there is at least one extremely beautiful thing about every single person.  As such, he'll take the time to get to know people and to find something great about the people he gets to know.  He won't demean, laugh at, or use anyone.  If he hurts someone, he'll do whatever he can to fix the situation and remove the pain.  He'll appreciate that two of my mantras in life are the following:
  1. People are more important than things.
  2. It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
It seems like a given, right?  It seems like everyone should recognize the value of people, and yet, they don't.  So I'm writing it down, so I don't forget.

(See also: What I Want in a Husband, Part 2.)


Thing I'm thankful for: kettle corn

3 Comments:

Blogger Peter said...

For what it's worth, your lists seem reasonable to me. They seem informed not by wishful thinking but by experience. And their purpose is that you want a happy, fulfilling relationship; that is, you sound much more like Belle (who had a list) than Bella.

11:03 AM  
Blogger Peter said...

Further thoughts: I'm curious if all of these things are absolutes. Is it crucial that his dishwashing habits be up to your standard? If he's willing to learn, is that good enough?

If you like, we can move this to email so I'll actually know when you respond.

2:02 PM  
Blogger cardlady said...

I am so happy you learned this lesson from our own home and parenting. And that you expect it in your own mate and home and parenting. It is absolutely one of the greatest lessons to really learn in order to treat everyone as equals. I love you SARA and I love your beauty, inside and out. And I truly love your brain!
MOM

11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home