Monday, February 13, 2006

The Science of Snow

So the snow stuck to the ground alright. But it stopped snowing around 2:00 a.m. Maybe if it had kept falling strong, I wouldn't have had to come to work today.

As it is, I did have to. On my way to work, though, I kept thinking about snow jargon. People always say, "I hope it sticks." "I don't think it's going to stick." "Yay! It's sticking!"

Isn't it weird? "To stick" is to attach or adhere to a surface. Yeah, I guess that kind of describes the whole thing, but shouldn't we really be saying, "Gee, I hope the snow doesn't melt when it hits the ground." Or "I hope the ground is 5 degrees Celsius."

Wait a second. Where did that last fact come from? The All About Snow Web site. And if you're really fascinated with snow shapes, check out SnowCrystals.com.

Thing I'm thankful for: My winter white sweater. Would it be okay to wear winter white all year long?

4 Comments:

Blogger Lauren said...

Look at the texture of this snow. It's awesome, Norwegian snow.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/christiansvaneskolding/87796291/in/set-72057594049765861/

7:26 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

Norwegian snow comes from Norwegia. :)

9:14 PM  
Blogger Jacki said...

I got my hopes high thinking that the "All About Snow" web site was a Snow Family History web site... oh well I guess "SNOW" is really interesting!

10:46 PM  
Blogger Leezy Lindsey said...

I love it when it snows and work and school get canceled. It's so cozy staying home watching the snow fall.

1:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home