Wednesday, February 08, 2006

I Am A Complete Moron

I watched "Sixteen Candles" with my mom a couple of nights ago and found that my life is eerily similar to Samantha Baker's. Well, it's similar to the first part of the movie -- the part before the boy of her dreams shows up in his Porsche. That is the day she cannot talk to her crush, Jake Ryan. At the school dance, he looks at her, and she runs off. He later says "hello" to her, and she again runs off.

This is me. Completely. Yes, yes . . . I have a crush on a boy. No, I'm not so into blogging that I'm going to tell you who it is. But I will say that every time I come home from a church activity, I feel like I'm expected to give a fantastic story about my romantic interludes. But I don't have any. I say "hi," maybe talk for a couple of minutes, and then I leave. I can barely remember what comes after "hi." Thoughts just leave my brain. And you can see by the previous post that I have linguistic intelligence. (It was a very scientific survey.) It's true; I do. I LOVE to talk. Once I get to know someone, I pretty much won't shut up. But when I get around a certain person, words quickly leave my head.

It's truly pitiful. I come home, and my mom always asks me what happened. When I have nothing of significance to report, I can see the look on her face silently say, "Oh. Well . . . What's wrong with my daughter?" No, she really doesn't think that (or maybe she does), but all I can say is that I seriously need help. What is my problem?!?

So I just thought I'd throw this out there to you sawasnow.blogspot.com readers. Maybe you can sympathize or empathize or throw me some pointers. Maybe you can just pray that I will not be such a complete jerk next time I talk to a boy I'm interested in.

Thing I'm thankful for: People who give me nice compliments to boost my confidence.

10 Comments:

Blogger Lauren said...

It's a Porshe that he pulls up in. Not a Trans Am. Get it right. Gosh. :)

11:33 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

OK. I changed Trans Am to Porsche now. But let me just say that even though I was off on the car, at least I spelled Porsche correctly! :)

11:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You mean you're a comeplete Mormon. Ha! Ha! Everyone gets that way when they're around someone new that they like. It takes time to be comfortable around someone, learn their faults, realize they don't clean the bathroom very thoroughly, and are probably a little arrogant, even though they are a nuclear physicist. Once you do though, then it's smooth sailing...

12:19 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Okay. You're right. But I was typing that as my professor was talking. So I had to make it quick and discreet. That's my excuse.

And, yeah, it happens to the best of us. Even the smooth talkers, like myself, get tripped up every once in a while. :)

8:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everybody gets tripped up once in a while. And under the right conditions, It can be really cute to see in other people. (But I'm a people watcher, so I enjoy seeing people trip through that kind of thing and remember how embarrassing, frustrating and fun it can be.)

Guys get tripped up in The Awkwardness too, though we'd never let on. (It seems that we do so at our peril, but that's a different discussion.)

As far as advice... I'll try this: be patient. You don't have to come home with tales of conquest. The more pressure you put on yourself to have something big to report, the more nervous you'll be about your interactions with this guy (and the more likely you'll feel disappointed if things don't go as you'd hoped).

Relax. Even the fiddly embarrassing parts of life are there to be enjoyed.

11:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"A great deal of talent is lost to the world for want of a little courage. Every day sends to their graves obscure men whose timidity prevented them from making a first effort." Sydney Smith (or women)

You are smart, fun, and attractive... you should call him right now and ask if he is free for dinner. If he has any taste at all, he'll accept.

2:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

After reading all of the supportive and encouraging comments, I kinda want a blog. Hm. Maybe it's worth it to commit.

3:18 PM  
Blogger Ezra said...

Sara, you're one of those people who, when you talk, people listen. You're like the oracle. So, this man has got to be hearing you. I used to be the same, real nervous, couldn't talk around someone I was interested in (not much of a talker anyway). It may sound corny, but I'd actually plan things to ask or talk about in my head. You probably have no real need to do this, words flow for you (you're related to Brooks right?), but it's just a suggestion.

5:38 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

What a nice thing to say. In fact, what nice things all of you have said. I did not write this post to get so many compliments and words of encouragement, but I'm glad that's the response it's gotten! Brian, thanks for reminding me that shyness can be cute and guys are awkward, too. Anonymous, thanks for telling me I'm smart, fun, and attractive; who ARE you? And Ezra, that was just so nice; I definitely HOPE this guy is hearing me!

Thanks, people. Thanks.

7:46 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

By the way, Samantha gets Jake in the end. (And he's just as cool as she thought he would be.) And how did she get him? She was real and nothing like Jake's bimbo party girlfriend. And she had a friend that told Jake all about how awesome she was (which I will totally do if I ever have the chance).

11:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home