Sunday, September 16, 2012

Persecution and Discovery

With the exception of 2009, this has probably been the hardest year of my life.  As a result, I don't quite feel like myself, and I don't know whether I'm supposed to get back to that version of myself that I think I am or whether I'm becoming someone altogether different -- someone who's better than before.

What I do know is that years from now, I will remember this year as one that changed me, and the best way I can explain it is to quote J. Reuben Clark, who was an apostle for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from the early '30s to the '60s:
In the providence of the Almighty, persecution serves a most useful purpose.  Every faithful Saint must perceive and acknowledge this.  Each one feels its effect upon himself, he sees its effect upon his friends and neighbors.  Persecution develops character.  Under its influence, we all know ourselves better than we did before we felt its pressure, and we discover traits in our brethren and sisters of the existence of which, perhaps, we were in entire ignorance.*
I think I need to stop paying so much attention to myself and instead focus on discovering the traits in my brethren and sisters of which I am in entire ignorance.  There's so much more to the world than me.

*I think the book is called Messages of the First Presidency, and it's Volume 3, page 48.


Thing I'm thankful for: quiet rainy days

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Reminds me of a quote from President Hugh B Brown in referring to Abraham being commanded to sacrifice Isaac: "Abraham needed to learn something about Abraham" (Truman G. Madsen, The Highest in Us)

6:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home