Friday, January 26, 2007

Best Cover Song

While I was on my way home from my friend Michelle's birthday party tonight, I heard Nirvana's version of "The Man Who Sold the World" on the radio. Nirvana played it on MTV Unplugged, and that recording is my favorite Nirvana album. Anyway, it's one of my favorite cover songs of all time. David Bowie wrote a great song, but I think Nirvana's execution was superb.

Well, this got me thinking about cover songs in general, and I tried to recall all the cover songs I know. Here's what comes to mind at the moment (The original artist is listed in parentheses.):
  • "Killing Me Softly with His Song" -- The Fugees (Roberta Flack)
  • "Just the Two of Us" -- Will Smith (Bill Withers)
  • "Mr. Tambourine Man" -- The Byrds (Bob Dylan)
  • "Waiting in Vain" -- Annie Lennox (Bob Marley)
  • "I Fought the Law" -- The Clash (The Crickets)
  • Any Harry Connick Jr. cover of a Frank Sinatra song
That's all I can think of right now, but what about you, blog readers? Can you think of a cover song you like? Please, leave a comment about it!

Thing I'm thankful for: birthday parties!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't really have a comment for this post, but ... just wanted you to know that I read it till the end! Be good:)

3:32 PM  
Blogger Heather S. said...

This is the Place-- Shawn Colvin (Talking Heads)
I Need a Hero-- Imogen Heap (Bonnie Tyler)
Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps-- Cake (Doris Day)
There are many more, but that's all that comes to MY mind for now too...
love ya girly!

9:33 AM  
Blogger Heather S. said...

OOOO and also I Will Survive--Cake (Gloria Gaynor)
Let us not forget that one...

9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home