Sunday, January 07, 2007

I'd Rather Carry a Backpack than a Purse

Yesterday I visited Woodruff Library at Emory with my friend Rose. We both had fun discovering a new place. We lazily perused the library museum and tried not to make too much noise. I kept my eyes open for perfect study spots. The periodical reading room is a dream-come-true, and there are several inviting nooks. We lounged around on this funky chair thing on the basement floor, and after a while, we walked back to the car and headed home.

Of course I loved being in a library. I hadn't been in one since last spring, and even then, it was only for an hour or so. I discovered that I really miss libraries. But I also realized today that something was amiss in my Saturday adventure. You see, today -- or tonight, rather -- I packed my GRE study guide and a few other things tidily into my backpack, ready to study at a moment's notice. That moment didn't come until 9:00-ish, and the library was closed. Brooks suggested going to Borders. As I swung my backpack over my shoulder, ready for some quality study time, I realized that I hadn't carried a backpack in well over a year. The item that was practically glued to my back for 17 years fit so comfortably that I was amazed I ever stopped using it. It's efficient, durable, and hip. My purse, on the other hand, is too small, too dainty, and the strap always falls off my narrow shoulder. The inevitable question is, why not get a bigger purse? Because big purses usually don't have efficient compartments; purse designers don't utilize the space. Besides, I feel like big purses don't match my personality. They look too ostentatious on a plain Jane like me.

No, a backpack is what I like. And maybe that's the real reason for my desire to go back to school . . .

Thing I'm thankful for: ponytails.

2 Comments:

Blogger Leezy Lindsey said...

I'm with you on this one Sara. I have always had small purses. I finally had to get a big purse for Christmas because I wasn't able to squeeze all of Sadie's stuff into my tiny purse. It's nice to have extra diapers and snacks but it is cumbersome lugging that thing around. I have a friend who uses a backpack as a diaper bag and I think it's a great idea.

12:39 PM  
Blogger Jacki said...

You know I love my big purses! The funny thing, however is that I carry a really small purse around most of the time, ya know that green one I have. I think that backpacks are a good idea for diaper bags. It allows you to have both hand completely free! Oh what a girl to do?

You ain't no "plain Jane" you are "Sassy Sa!"

4:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home