Sunday, January 29, 2006

When Will WE Be Our Own Resumes?

When we're in heaven, that's when. I think it was President Faust who said that today in stake conference. It might've been Elder Hales. They both gave wonderful talks. But the resume line really hit home today.

When I was looking for a job, I was always so frustrated with the whole resume/cover letter business. I had just graduated from college, where I did not apply for any internships (Big mistake. Big. Huge!). So on paper, I looked . . . well, like a person who had just graduated from college. I didn't have any of that elusive "experience." Apart from professors and a couple of work supervisors, I had virtually no contacts. Why couldn't people just talk to ME? Hire ME, not my resume!

But it doesn't just end with jobs. I was talking with Lauren the other day about dating. (What else do two twentysomething girls talk about?) Anyway, we were frustrated because it seems as though girls who have an outstanding resume are the ones who get all the dates. What kind of resume do people have when in the dating game, you ask? Looks, super-outgoing personalities, looks, sweet flirting skills, and looks. What about those people who are quiet and a little shy and can talk one-on-one, but have really sucky mingling skills? Yeah, our -- I mean, their -- "resumes" don't look so hot. I know, I know -- someday someone will find my "hidden talents and wonderful personality" irresistable (!), but until then, I'll just say that it's . . . frustrating.

So now to my original point. As I sat in conference today, and Pres. Faust (or Elder Hales?) said "[In heaven] You will be your resume," I felt really good inside. It really is a nice feeling -- to know that God knows who you are and looks at YOU. (Although, he does look at your good works and stuff like that, but that's a more involved discussion.) STILL, the fact that God knows what's in our minds and hearts and judges us on those is more than I can ever thank Him for.

Other thing I'm thankful for: My brother Brooks and his wife Jacki for letting me stay with them over the weekend. They even made me a set of keys! What would I do without them?!?

4 Comments:

Blogger Blake said...

Nice post sara. I love your brutal honesty and willingness to share your spiritual thoughts in your blog posts.

11:39 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

Hey, thanks!

7:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, seriously. 8's can be just as fun and interesting as 10's -- but why can't guys see that? I wish I knew more guys who are interested in intelligent girls with a sense of humor and a pretty smile than the ever-elusive Barbie with a temple recommend.

Girls can be just as bad, though. I don't know that Mr. Right exists; heaven knows we aren't perfect, so why should we expect to find a man who meets all our preconceived ideals?

Again, love the blog, Sara. I'll have to keep reading...

Loves,
Lauren

3:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Personal marketing always has the potential to be disheartening because, honestly, in the world of resumes, the eye catcher is king.

And your simile holds for the visible parts of people, whether it's looks, personality, or flirting prowess. It's a way to eliminate options, because like people reading resumes, we'd all go nuts if we tried to hook up with every possible person, so we need to narrow the field.

All that "trying to see this through other's eyes" aside, it's not especially fun if you don't feel like you've got a really strong resume. And hearing people tell you to polish them isn't exactly a mirth builder.

Another job parallel I'd bring in is your social network though. Like most jobs are filled by references from someone you know and knows you, I'd say more often than not, relationships come out of someone you meet that knows someone you know. (So few of us take up with total strangers.)

That set up, who we spend our time with (the makeup of our network) plays into relationships much like it does with jobs. For one part, it's hard to find single people if all our friends are married and only talk with married people. (My tightly knit network of hci friends have a hard time connecting people with oil barons.) The other has a double influence. Our associations form a part of the perceptions from which we form our opinions of other people (they rub off on us). They also contribute to other people's perceptions about us (guilt or virtue by association).

And there I think we start getting more into the we are our own resumes territory. Who we choose to spend our time with says things about us, and creates us.

Now... where am I going with this? Good friends may not get us to where we want to be (as far as more romantic relationships) exactly when we want to be there, but being good people (or at least the kind of people we hope to be) and associating with similarly good or rising people is a strong start, and an opportunity for what we are to serve as our resumes.

And even the best resume doesn't get you past the interview. If your strength is in who you are and who you have closeby to help you, that will get you farther once the interviewing goes than the flashy resume. Yes, a great resume gets more interviews, but it's the good interview that gets the job.

Now... must do something brainless. My simile sense is ruined from overstretching.

9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home