Thursday, February 16, 2006

Conversational Writing


I was reading Brian's blog today and checked out one of his links: Creating Passionate Users. The particular article referenced is "Conversational Writing Kicks Formal Writing's Ass." Author Kathy Sierra encourages us to write in conversational English. Not only is the article extremely interesting, but it was also a nice justification for the conversational writing that I think is the language of bloggers in general.

Sure, there are uses for fomal writing. Sometimes it is only appropriate to use formal writing. But sometimes, you have to use conversational writing to get your point across. I often wish more people would speak in iambic pentameter or fancy schmancy British-speak from the 17- and 1800's. They simply don't, though, and I think if you want to engage your readers, you have to speak in a memorable way -- in a way readers can relate. So I think Kathy Sierra is right; the memorable way to write is with conversation. Memorable speech and writing, however, should not give way to incorrect spelling, punctuation, grammar, and crude slang.

Try it out, and see what happens!

Thing I'm thankful for: That I can at least write what I want to say. I can't speak it, but I can write it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lauren said...

We talked about this last night in class. I think it's important for future generations to see the way we talk. In the future, historians won't look at the formal essays we write as much as study informal language that we use on a daily basis in order to learn more about us.

9:57 AM  
Blogger Jacki said...

Sara I agree with you. Sometimes you must where the formal hat, and other times you must kick back and relax. I like to relax more. It's the hippie in me!

5:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home