Thursday, September 27, 2012

Airport Etiquette

I like driving to and from the airport.  In a nutshell,

I love early-morning driving as well as night-driving. There's really something invigorating about driving on an empty interstate. My mind seems to work best during these solitary driving moments when I feel like I'm one of the only people awake in the world. I cherish that time.

Airports have always been fascinating to me, anyway, and I remember loving to see people off or welcome them home. I wonder if seeing and hearing planes or watching the bustle of people run like mad to catch their plane incites some kind of adventurous spirit in me. I go to the airport, and I want to see the world!

As someone who is well-versed in the rules of pick-ups and drop-offs, let me give you some tips:

Drop-offs
  1. No one should ever carry all of their bags.  Barring any physical limitations, the driver must carry as many bags to the car as she/he can hold.
  2. Everyone needs a send-off hug.

Pick-ups
  1. Drive-by pick-ups are okay, but it's best to park.  (And the driver must pay for parking.)
  2. Everyone needs a welcome hug.
  3. No one should ever carry all of their bags.  Barring any physical limitations, the driver must carry as many bags to the car as she/he can hold.
  4. The driver must offer to stop for food.  It can be fast-food or a sit-down place, but it has to be offered.
  5. Again with the bag thing.  The driver must carry as many bags inside as she/he can hold.

In a week, I'll be moving farther away from the airport, which is slightly disappointing, especially since I'll be traveling quite a bit this fall.  Still, if you ever fly into or out of the Austin airport, let me know, and I'll try to pick you up or drop you off.


Thing I'm thankful for: funny conversations in the middle of the night.

2 Comments:

Blogger cardlady said...

Aeronautics is in our BLOOD. Beginning with your Grandpa Richard P Schmitt (Air Force)and an aeronautical engineer for Air Research Phoenix for over 40 years.
And, me, a air nut for my whole life and ex stewardess for American Airlines.
And WE do love to go places and pick people up and drop them off!
ADVENTURE! EXTRAORDINAIRE!

1:28 PM  
Blogger cardlady said...

An AIR NUT! Correction!

1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home