Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Why I Would Make a Good Wife: Reason No. 532

I like to do household chores. I like baking and vacuuming and "straightening up." I like organizing my pantry and making sure I have enough food storage. I like dusting and organizing and making sure I have soap and a clean hand towel in the bathroom. I have even gotten to the point where I actually like doing dishes sometimes!

One thing I also very much love to do is laundry. Clean laundry sometimes makes everything seem better somehow. Sleeping on freshly cleaned sheets is one of the most relaxing feelings, and that clean clothes smell is unbeatable, of course.

One problem I have doing laundry, though, is that I have a hard time putting the recommended amount of detergent into the washing machine. I always feel the urge to use a capful. It's an especially difficult challenge when detergent-makers everywhere are concentrating their products. Despite the fact that I only have to use say, 1/3 of a cap, I can't actually use just 1/3 of a cap! I must use a capful! It's an expensive habit!

I know that concentrated detergent is better for the environment, and I know it saves detergent companies money. It results in a more convenient container, too. I just don't know, though, if I can get my psyche to use less of the product!

How do you feel about concentrated detergent, readers?


Thing I'm thankful for: a full tummy.

6 Comments:

Blogger Ashley Terry said...

I have the same problem!!! I can't use just 1/3 of a cap - it doesn't seem right! I try and try...and even when I put 1/3 in, I go back in and add a little more. I'm glad I am not the only one.

You are also a fabulous baker :)

6:44 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

I have the complete opposite promise. I conserve like a beast, so I have to make myself use half a cap on a full load. I probably take the meaning of "concentrated" too far, but hey... my clothes are clean (I think)!

9:30 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

I just wrote promise instead of problem and had no idea until AFTER I'd posted my comment. Blerg.

9:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice picture!!!

2:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm totally with conservative Sara. I always use a little less than the recommended amount and they come out with the clean laundry smell.

Though I did forget the fabric softener once recently. That was not so happy....

4:01 PM  
Blogger Lexia said...

I don't like liquid detergent 'cause I have to walk down six flights of stairs to do my laundry and don't want to have to carry the whole detergent container. I put my powder detergent in a zip-lock bag - although I suppose I could buy some kind of small plastic container for liquid, but then I have to do that.

Only one thing could change my mind to using liquid, and that is the detergent you buy with downy. Is it Water Lily and Jasmine? It smells delicious. Absolutely delicious. So much so, that I would probably eat my clothes if I used it, so maybe it's a good thing I don't buy it - if I could ever find it in Manhattan.

Lastly, the only reason those bottles are more environmentally friendly is because it's less plastic than the bigger containers. I mean, powder comes in a box - how much more environmentally friendly is that? So really, you're helping the environment more if you use powder detergents.

10:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home