Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Yikes! I Need More Sleep!

I just read an article on MSN.com called Sleep: Strange Bedfellows. It lists the facts about what happens when you don't get enough sleep, which I don't. I knew most of these things already because I always, always read articles about sleep deprivation. And why not? I may as well know what my body is up against . . .

I feel like getting enough sleep is a never-ending battle for me. Maybe I'm one of those people the article refers to as having a genetic mutation. I do feel like I can survive on less sleep than most, but I also still feel like I am deprived.

Most people want to know what I do when I stay up late. I will tell you:
  • Browse the Internet.
  • Read any kind of book, but mostly church books.
  • Watch a movie, usually a chick flick.
  • Pay bills.
  • Shop online (but not anymore because I'm paying off debt).
  • Bake.
  • Talk with another night owl.
Tell me, readers: Are you night owls? Is getting to bed or getting restful sleep a problem for you? How do you fight the urge to stay awake? How do you go to sleep when you're mind is restless? How do you get yourself to get into your bed?!?


Thing I'm thankful for: apples with peanut butter.

4 Comments:

Blogger Cherie (and sometimes Senor) said...

Oh Sara--you have long known my issues with getting more sleep but I can honestly say since moving here to Houston and getting a 9-5'er and a steady evening routine (and a husband with a similar schedule) I have become a regular 10:30pm bed-timmer. Even on nights where I could stay up I am always ready to go to bed before midnight!! IT makes me feel much much better! But it took a while of making myself just say it's 10:00pm time to get ready for bed.

7:21 AM  
Blogger A Frost said...

That article is absolutely true. I typically get 7-8 hours of sleep and remember everything and have great oral health. (no cavities in this mouth) Sorry that I have talked to you so late lately I am not helping you.

3:32 PM  
Blogger michele said...

Sara, I'm definitely a night owl! I get tired in the late afternoon and then once 8 or 9:00 hits, I'm wide awake. If I force myself to go to bed before I'm tired, I'll end up tossing and turning all night! If I get in bed and read a really boring book sometimes that helps.

4:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The less I sleep the harder it is for me to concentrate and eventually my legs start to ache as well. I'm always tired, but sometimes it gets particularly bad. A few simple things have helped me. I never look at the clock once I know I'm going to bed soon and then spend just a few (reading until your tired works as well for me as putting an alcoholic by an open bar) minutes reading. I keep the clock turned away from me so I can't sneak a peak in the middle of the night as well. I don't worry about sleeping for eight hours, just resting for eight hours. I found that changing my goal to resting and enjoying lying there peacefully lowered my stress and improved my health.

11:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home