Friday, March 31, 2006

Buying a Car: Phase I

Okay, so I'm probably in phase II right now. The first phase was admitting I need a car. :) Actually, it's been pretty apparent for a while now, but I didn't have a job and consequently, no money.

Now I have a job and a little bit of money. So a car it is. For a month, I didn't really actively search for one. I had/have this fear of buying one and regretting my purchase within two weeks. I don't really like the new aerodynamic look of cars these days. I like long and boxy cars -- think Jetta circa 1995. Oh, where have all the boxy cars gone?

As of tonight, I've been to a few dealerships, test driven the Mazda 3, and spent a few hours perusing Autotrader.com. I don't like it. I don't know what "deal" is a good deal. I don't like test driving other people's cars, and I don't like car salesmen hanging around and not leaving me alone for at least a few minutes together.

So . . . any tips, people? Does anyone want to find a car for me? :)

Thing I'm thankful for: Cadbury eggs.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jacki said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:23 AM  
Blogger Jacki said...

Cars are fun to purchase. You need to know that you are puchasing a tool and that is it. It isn't going to be an investment. Wasn't your dad like this when he purchased the mustang? Ah like father like daughter.

8:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just go to a dealership, close your eyes, spin around, and when you stop, open your eyes and that should be the car you buy. It's no different than when we were little and would spin the globe around and randomly put our finger on the places each family member would live for the rest of their life. I'm kidding. Just google, "buying a new car." You know the basics anyway. I don't like the look of the new Mazda, I'm not sure you should get it. Oh, how could I forget? Check out "Consumer Reports" to find the safest, most efficient, cheapest, best car.

10:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know much about buying cars but someone recently gave me this piece of advice: If you find a car you like at a dealership, go back a few minutes before they close. Know how much you are willing to spend and don't back down. If they know you are interested, negotiations will be quick and you will usually get a better deal.

Also, make sure to get the car inspected before buying it from anyone!

10:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home