Thursday, November 29, 2012

Open Letter to Men, No. 1

Dear Men,

Let's get down to brass tacks.  You wanna be happy.  The best chance you have at being happy is to make the woman in your life happy.  So I'm going to help you out.  I'm going to tell you what you can do to make women happy.  It might take three posts; it might take 10.  I'll do it, though, and if you follow my guidelines, I promise your life will be better for it.

I'll just get to it, then.  Here's the first one:

Be curious.  Ask us what we think.

Women (and I'll wager men do as well) want to be heard and understood.  We want you to wonder about what we're thinking, what we do during the day, and what our ambitions are.  We ask you questions because we really want to understand you, but sometimes we need prompting, too.  Ask questions like these:
  • What was the best part of your day?
  • What's a new thing you'd really like to try this year?
  • What's your favorite movie or book?  Why?
  • What were you like as a kid?
  • Why do you like your job?  What is one of the projects you're working on right now?
  • What would your dream house look like?
  • What do you think about [any particular topic you've been mulling over lately]?  I think [this way], but what do you think?
  • I'm have [this problem], and I think I might do [this] to solve it.  Do you think that's a good idea?
  • Do you think this shirt matches this tie?
See?  Simple.  Just ask more questions.  Ask us the same questions we ask you, if you need some help getting started.  (Or get some ideas from this list of questions.)  Soon the conversation will be flowing, and your crush or girlfriend or wife will feel validated and respected and loved.


Good luck,
Sara

2 Comments:

Blogger cardlady said...

You ARE SO SMART! SMarty Pants!
Really a good post. You should be a counselor.
Love MOM

12:16 AM  
Blogger Saule Cogneur said...

"The best chance you have at being happy is to make the woman in your life happy."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. If only that were true....if only.

6:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home