Thursday, July 06, 2006

Ah, the Sounds of Morning . . .

I woke up this morning to a scratching sound somewhere in the corner of my room. Was it the plastic bags in the corner? A shifting of my kitchenware that is still in the box? No to both.

Aha! It was the plastic wrapping on the honey suckle-scented candles I just bought, so new that they were still in the Pottery Barn bag I brought them home in.

Wait a second . . . Why would my candles be scratching something? I took the cellophane-wrapped box of candles out and shook it and pushed on it to see if the cellophane was making the noise. Nope. That's not it. But the noise was coming from the bag. I was sure of it. As I put the box back in it's place, I saw a brown spot caught between the side of the bag and the packing paper on the bottom. A cockroach! Gross! At least it wasn't a mouse.

And it did wake me up for the day -- I hadn't even heard my alarm. Visions of Gregor Samsa danced in my head. What if this cockroach was really a person?

I would kill it anyway. But then it would leave cockroach guts all over my Pottery Barn bounty. So I went outside and dropped it out of the bag. Goodbye, cockroach!

I thought about all the places a bug or small rodent could hide in my place and immediately had a minor panic attack. Heavenly Father, please don't let any more creatures find their way into my apartment.


Thing I'm thankful for: pest control.

5 Comments:

Blogger Lauren said...

WHAT?!?!?

Eww.

2:32 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

I find it funny that you two live together, but still find out some aspects of each other's day on each other's blogs ;o)
You know, it occured to me the other day that Lauren and Sarah (oh my, our apartment has the same names except for me...) might be as grossed out by bugs as I am and that I will in the future not be able to call on male residents to take care of them anymore! It is good to have brothers close by, isn't it?

3:09 PM  
Blogger Lexia said...

Lauren, you should be an old pro at killing magnanamous-sized cockroaches.

Girl, cockroaches are like flies in New York; Ya just learn to coexist.

2:52 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Ugh, me and la cucuracha (sp?) WILL NEVER coexist.

I am not scared of roaches. Let's just get that out there. I just don't like the way they explode with white junk when you squish 'em. THAT'S what I can't handle.

7:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mmmm... cockroach squeezins

so much hate for my beloved palmetto bugs :'(

Apparently they're pretty stinky though... enough that pest control people can tell if you've got an infestation by the scent. I killed a few infiltrators last week, so I'm starting to wonder if they've taken a toll on our home's normally sweet aroma.

8:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home