Thursday, May 11, 2006

Making the Switch

Today is a big day for me. I'm making the switch from Hotmail to Gmail. For a while, I have been using Gmail kind of halfway, but I don't really want to leave Hotmail. I know, I know. It sounds silly, doesn't it? But I don't like Gmail's interface. It's too cluttered. There's too much going on. The normal e-mail design conventions just aren't there. This frustrates me to no end. Have a look:


But what frustrates me more is the incompatibility of Hotmail and the Firefox browser. (If you haven't used Firefox, do so immediately. And learn the features; they are incredible.) Or maybe it's the incompatibility of Hotmail and MAC computers, which I consistently use now. Maybe it's both. Whatever the case, I'm disappointed with Hotmail. Maybe I shouldn't be -- because we all know that Microsoft has some problems with branching out. (Don't get me wrong -- I LOVE PC's. It's true, I do.)

So my brother Blake set up my free Hotmail account about 7 years ago, and I've been with it ever since. The blue background is familiar to me. I'm used to the folders on the left. I like that new e-mails are highlighted with color. There are, however, 2 key features that Google entices me with:
  1. The search feature -- You can search your e-mail the same way you search for anything with Google. Let's say you want to find an e-mail someone sent to you about 2 years ago, but all you can remember about it, is that it had the word "purple" in it. Just type "purple" in the search box, and presto! Google pulls out all the mail that has that word in it.
  2. The amazing amount of storage -- 2723 MB and growing.
Oh, Hotmail! I'll miss you!

Thing I'm thankful for: Jiffy muffin mixes.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blake convinced me to switch to gmail a few months ago. I have to admit that I wasn't very impressed. It didn't seem as easy to use as say, Outlook. I do like it now. I like how you can start typing a reply and it pops up the reply screen automatically. The spellcheck is also very cool. Oh, the chat feature is also very neat.

9:56 AM  
Blogger Ezra said...

Sara, welcome to gmail. I still have a hotmail account that I use rarely. I hate it. Because of all the advertisements on the page I have about 5% of space to read my emails. Gmail is the way to go, especially with Firefox. There are some extensions that let you become a gmail master...http://www.lifehacker.com/software/gmail/hack-attack-become-a-gmail-master-161399.php

Good luck.

10:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! I have a gmail account that I started last month, but I just don't want to leave my hotmail! I don't love the layout of gmail either, and I have had hotmail forever, I am just used to it. Let me know how you transition, and maybe you can help me. I hate letting go!!!

11:23 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

I absolutely HATE letting go, too! I am so loyal -- to people and ideas and things. So loyal. It can be very frustrating sometimes.

11:27 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Hey, can you send me an invite to Gmail? I'm trying to cycle off of AOL. But I feel your pain. I've had this email account since for 11 years!

11:49 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Oops. Disregard the "since for" business.

11:50 AM  
Blogger cardlady said...

Me Too! Hotmail user for 7+ years. But you remember when we didn't like hotmail to change their look. They did it about three irky times in the past 5 years. So guess we will get used to gmail. MOM Snow

10:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home