Monday, May 22, 2006

I Completely Forgot About One of My All-Time Favorite Duos!

They're Binney & Smith, of Crayola Fame.


Cousins Edwin Binney and C. Harold Smith took over Edwin's father's pigment business in 1885. In 1900, they began producing slate school pencils in their newly opened Easton, Pennsylvania mill. Binney & Smith introduced the first dustless school chalk two years later. In 1903, they saw a need for safe, quality, affordable wax crayons, and Crayola was born -- the first box of eight Crayola crayons sold for a nickel. The Crayola name, coined by Edwin Binney's wife Alice, comes from "craie," the French word for chalk, and "ola," from "oleaginous" (That means oily.).

Anyway, I really like the Binney and Smith company. You can find more information about the company on the company's site, which is where I stole the above info.

Thing I'm thankful for: mommy teaching me how to draw and color and paint when I was little.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home