Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Why I Love Blogging, or Why the World Wide Web is the Shy Person's Playground

You should know by now that I have a tendency to get really nervous in public. I hardly ever speak up in church, at work, or in school (when I was in school, that is). Like I mentioned before, though, I'm getting better. And I DON'T think it's cool for me to view my shyness as an excuse to stay quiet. I work on it everyday! I do!

The thing is, is that I LOVE to talk and get to know people. In person, though, and in large groups of people, I get really anxious. But if I don't have to see your face? FUHGEDABOUDIT! I can pretty much say whatever I want through the written word -- either because I'm bad at speaking publicly or because I am actually good at writing.

I sometimes wish that written communication was the only one I had to have with people. Shoot the breeze? Throw a frisbee around? Initiate a hug? Fuhgedaboudit.

That's why I love the internet, especially blogging. I'm okay at one-on-one conversations; it's the group things that make me nervous. But blogging gives me a chance to say what I want to say without having people watch while I say it.

Fellow bloggers and non-bloggers, how do you feel about it?

Thing I'm thankful for: other people's blogs. They're so much fun to read!

11 Comments:

Blogger Lauren said...

Here-here. Wait. It's probably hear-hear, isn't it?

Either way, this is exactly how I feel about things. Kindred spirits, you and I.

4:04 PM  
Blogger russelllindsey said...

Count me in too. Sounds like we are all kindered spirits :D

Please feel free to check out my blog - and my website www.lindseyrussell.net.

More later.

Lindsey

4:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

FUHGEDABOUDIT!

10:00 PM  
Blogger Ezra said...

The way I look at is that people out there need me and I know that. I feel it is my duty as an internet junky to give the people what they want.

No really, I just like it...a lot. Is there a support group out there for addicted bloggers?

6:32 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

If there's not, Ezra, there should be. I'm definitely an addict myself. Have you noticed that lately, I've sometimes been writing 2 posts a day? THAT'S craziness!

But I see that people visit my blog, and I have to make those visitors happy . . . I feel kind of like a retail store that way -- if I don't have new stuff on display, people will get disappointed and leave. And then I'd just be writing to myself. :(

7:00 AM  
Blogger Ezra said...

Now if we could just make money off of it somehow....

9:25 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

Argh. Seriously. I could make money if I had about . . . oh, a thousand more hits a day. I've been looking for blogging jobs (for a side job). I don't find a lot that suit me, though. I've seen a lot of postings about night-life blogging. Yeah, THAT'S totally me -- livin' it up in good ol' C-town . . .

9:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAHA! I love it. I agree though. It's easy to get to know people through blogs and such. I think it's fun too. Plus, it's a great way to keep in toch with people you don't see very often. It's way better than a once a year Christmas letter. So, to sum it up-Ashley is an advocate of blogging.

Thank you and goodnight. (and by goodnight I mean I am going back to work now...blah. I wish I was going to sleep ;)

9:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think your blog is more like the real "Sara" than the actual real "Sara." Wait, what did I just say? I mean, your blog is a closer reflection to how I know you than how others know you. I always thought it was funny when people would say "Sara is so quiet." In my head I was like, "No she's not. She used to yell 'I hate you' to my mom and stomp up the stairs when she was seven." That's the Sara I know and love. I'm glad people are now seeing/reading this wonderful expressive quality about you.

5:56 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Hear-hear.

8:11 PM  
Blogger The Rogue said...

Ha! I feel the same way..Finally,someone on my wavelength..Im thankful for your blog,it sure has been fun!.. fanku!Oh,n btw,keep in touch..
www.the-rogue.blogspot.com

11:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home