Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous



Today I saw the MSN entertainment headline "Gossip: Brangelina vs. Photogs." I clicked on it and started reading for about 3 seconds. Then I was done. I just thought, "Why am I reading this? It doesn't even interest me anymore."


When I was in middle school, my mom subscribed to People Magazine, and I always read it. By the time I was in high school, my mom had stopped subscribing, but I was hooked. I read about pop culture like a fiend. I mostly read InStyle, but I would also scan other fashion and celebrity magazines in the checkout line at the grocery store.

When the World Wide Web actually became world-wide and everybody had internet connection, my habit got worse. I think I only read entertainment news. I wouldn't say I was obsessed, I just LOVE checking out the new fashions and makeup, keeping up with who was together in Hollywood and who had just broken up, and checking to see which movies were coming out soon. I really don't know why I had such a fascination with other, ridiculously rich people. But I did.

And somehow, over the last 2 years, I've slowly kicked the habit. Well, not completely -- I like to keep up with some stuff now and then. But I don't have this insatiable urge to keep track of who's who in the celebrity world. Maybe it has something to do with being super busy my last few semesters in college. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I quit watching R-rated movies last year (and any other rated movie that just looks like it'll be filthy). Maybe it has to do with me not watching much TV anymore. And maybe it just has to do with me getting older and having less room in my life for keeping up with people I don't even know.

Whatever it is, it feels good. It feels good not to know who the cast members of "Desperate Housewives" are. It feels good not to have any comment in the morning when my co-workers discuss "Grey's Anatomy." It feels good not to have wasted 5 hours watching the Academy Awards this year.

I mean, I'm definitely not saying I don't ever waste time anymore, but at least I'm focusing on real people -- people I know or have the possibility of getting to know. It's good. Life is good.

Thing I'm thankful for: mom paying for my lunch today. Niiiice.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am still a People lover. It's the only mag I trust with celebrity gossip being accurate and honest! Well, and msn. They are really funny with there articles too! But I used to be enthralled by the gossip, but now it amuses me, so I keep on reading. lol. I love that you are like that too!! Gold stars!

11:16 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Hmm. I still like to look at that stuff every once in a while. But then I usually get in a "Man, I wish I was Gwyneth's size." funk which is just not healthy. I just want to wear all of their fun skinny-people clothes. But instead I usually opt for a t-shirt, jeans, and flip-flops. Huh.

11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home