Monday, February 20, 2006

Who's YOUR Favorite President?


My favorite president is George Washington. There are a lot of things I like about him, but I'll just list two (relatively) unimportant things that are nevertheless neat to me.
  1. He was a surveyor. How cool is that? While most presidents were lawyers or businessmen, George Washington was an examiner of land.
  2. He was so big! One of the reasons I like the above picture is because in it, you can see that George Washington is very tall. I went to Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum in NYC once, and there was a wax figure of the president. He was so tall and robust. Why do I care? Well, I really like big 'n' tall people because I'm . . . big 'n' tall.
Okay, I will say one other (important) thing about George Washington. He was wary of excessive party spirit and wasn't really a fan of the two-party system in general. I really like that. For a light discussion on our two-party sytem, read "When in Doubt, Check the Party." and the comments that go along with it.

Thing I'm thankful for: Those moments with friends when you can just be silly.

Don't forget to make a comment about your favorite U.S. president!

7 Comments:

Blogger Lauren said...

Was it Taft that got stuck in the bathtub? I like that guy.

8:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

John Adams

There's a few reasons, but the one I always remember is the relationship he and his wife Abigail shared. It may not be considered an especially presidential thing, but it's always impressed me.

The Adams' developed a friendship, partnership, and romance that carried them through long periods of time apart, the frustrations of the continental congress, the war for American independence, the young American republic, political reverses during John's time as President and political betrayal by his close friend Thomas Jefferson. (If I remember correctly, it was due to Abby's influence that John patched things up with Jefferson before the end.)

I'll admit, having a great relationship with one's spouse doesn't necessarily a great president make, but it wins my respect.

It reminds me a bit of Jimmy Carter, who's my favorite living ex-president because he's raised the bar for what it means to be an American former president. (As I understand it, he and his wife Rosalyn have a rather Adamsesque relationship.) The Carters have done more humanitarian work post-presidency than many people fit in over their entire lives. President Carter's work in promoting democracy through overseeing elections earned him a Nobel Peace Prize, and he and Rosalyn just keep on going.

But we were supposed to be talking about famous presidents... not my views on the ideal retirement.

10:50 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

Not necessarily the most famous presidents, just your favorites. :)

11:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's always difficult to top the first album, er... I mean president. Washington all the way.

11:54 PM  
Blogger Ezra said...

I don't really have a favorite, but I was watching a thing on President's on the History channel yesterday and learned that Grover Cleveland was the only President to be married in the White House. He was also the only President to serve to non-consecutive terms. I think my favorite is Lincoln.

6:04 AM  
Blogger Jacki said...

I am a big fan of JFK. I don't know why... Ok it is really because of Jackie O! I respect Lincoln and of course George Washington. Great post Sara! I LOVE THAT PICTURE! My dad has a framed copy of it in his office. President Washington looked like a humble man!

6:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In high school I liked Jefferson's views of Federal and State government. Lincoln was always a favorite of mine in elementary school. And today it would probably be...Hinckley (Ha! Ha! Ha!) I out win you all! For those readers who are not Mormon, he is the current President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

And just so you know, Sara, the next time we go to ole Madame Tussaud's it's going to cost us $29!!! $29!!! And there are no roller-coasters there.

9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home