Monday, May 30, 2005

A Music Review



This post is a little out of the ordinary for me, but I think it's worth it. I found out about a new band, and I don't know if anyone else in my family or circle of friends has heard of it -- if they have, they haven't told me. (That's weird, too, because I'm never the one to talk about a band first; it's always Lexi, Blake, or Lauren.) Anyway, the band is Reverie Sound Revue and the album is "Walking Around Waiting Downtown." They're from Canada, and lately, I LOVE Canadian music and television (?). They're music is very "dreamy" and "cosmopolitan," as one reviewer says (sorry, I can't remember who). It's classified as "alt pop," but I prefer to go with the previously unnamed critic who calls it "electro pop." Now, I'm not a big "electro/techno/whatever" fan, but I think this music is pretty good. The singer is a girl with a jazzy voice, and apparently the band's influences are jazz, blues, and new wave. What a combo, huh? I like how the band members describe their music:

Though the Revue has many ties to the indie music community, they have no ideals about staying true to some invisible indie bonds. If the opportunity arose to sign with a major label, the band would definitely not hide behind the indie veil.

"We don't want to have people picking out our wardrobe for us," says vocalist Lisa Lobsinger. "That's not music."

"It's the same old story," adds Bryce Gracey, the band's bassist. "Plus, there's not enough groupies in indie rock."
-- "Just Two Gigs Old," Myke Atkinson

To listen to some samples, click here.

1 Comments:

Blogger Blake said...

Sara,

This band is pretty good. I liked some of their songs. They remind me of a girl version of Sea and Cake.

I still think you would like Portishead since you like this.

12:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home