Tuesday, October 02, 2012

Being Lame

It bothers me a bit when people say stuff like this:
  • "I was lame and stayed home on Friday."
  • "I did stuff around the house all day; I'm lame."
  • "Oh, I'm lame; I didn't do anything fun."
Assuming people are using the word "lame" in its slang term, it's still a somewhat alarming sentiment.  It reminds me of something my friend said recently.  She was talking about going to the temple, and she said it annoys her when people ask, "Did you have fun at the temple?"  She nearly yelled (as much as she can), "I don't go to the temple to have fun!!!"

Her point was that people are obsessed with having fun.  It seems that people expect everything in life to be "fun" or "exciting" or some other such energetic word.  Or they expect that other people expect it.

Sometimes, though, life is calm.  Sometimes it's easy, and sometimes it's challenging.  Sometimes it's disappointing, and sometimes it's satisfying.  Sometimes it's a million other things.  And sometimes it's fun.


Thing I'm thankful for: Brookie

2 Comments:

Blogger dallin+michelle said...

oh i definitely disagree.... but let me explain... i think everything can be fun! colors can be fun! outfits can be fun! just like "spicy" doesn't only describe taste it can describe a new pair of shoes or a new accessory :) life IS fun if you make it.... even the temple can be fun! trust me some of those temple sealers are HILARIOUS! when i worked in the temple, i found that they were the ones to hang out with on my down time. where most people get a calming peace in the temple, oddly i get an inner excited feeling and often get the giggles! perspective really :) and i happen to love the word LAME... especially when you say it with disdain.... LAAAAAME. ha!

9:07 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

Haha! You WOULD, Michelle! ;)

9:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home