Monday, October 01, 2012

Open Letter to Doctors, Counselors, and Anyone Else Who Sees Patients

Dear doctors and counselors et al.,

I don't appreciate having to arrive 30 minutes early to my appointment to fill out paperwork that you don't even glance at.  When I am (finally) in your office and you say, "Tell me a little bit about why you are here" or "What are some of your symptoms," I want to roll my eyes and tell you this:
If you had taken about five minutes to read all that paperwork, you would know why I scheduled this appointment.  Also, as you can see from page 6 of the patient information packet I completed, you will note that I am tense, have frequent headaches, and have difficulty sleeping.
Do you think because you read a lot in professional or graduate school that you are exempt from reading now?  More importantly, do you think you are instilling trust and loyalty in your patients by ignoring what they spent the better part of an hour on for you?

Please do me a favor and either stop wasting my time (and paper), or actually read what I wrote.


Most unaffectionately,
Sara

6 Comments:

Blogger cardlady said...

Oh I'm so sorry Sara. I think you got a bad one. Don't go back to him. Find another one.
A real good Dr, will have good bedside manner and patient interaction.
So sorry. Please keep looking. Love MOM

11:27 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

For real! Or get a lowly (sarcasm) nurse to read the papers for you and brief you, at least.

12:40 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

amen!

3:13 PM  
Blogger Will said...

Perhaps he/she did read it and asked you what your symptoms were anyway, either to confirm that the information was correct, or just because most of their patients expect them to ask them that.

4:50 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

Nope. Not buyin' it, Will. It's nice of you to be on the doctor's side, but it was obvious he hadn't looked at my paperwork. :/

4:53 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

I'm Petey and I approve of this message.

11:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home