Saturday, September 02, 2006

Oooh, FASHION -- Turn to the Left, Turn to the Right!

Whenever I go to the mall, I realize what great taste I have.

Seriously. I know I don't look like I know what I'm talking about when it comes to clothes and shoes and color theory, but I do. I know the do's and the don'ts about fashion, and because I know them, I can break them. :)

(If you really want to see someone who can defy the rules of fashion and break them in amazing ways, spend some time with my sister Lexia. She's like Picasso or Pollack. She looks completely unassuming in her flip-flops and unkempt hair, but I know that underneath that lazy smile, she's knows all the ins and outs of what looks spectacular.)

So I was at Lenox Mall yesterday, and I stepped into BCBG's. It used to be one of those stores that I just LOVED. There's still a hint of class left, but it's covered up by a lot of crap. They have a whole section now of clothes with the BCBG logo. And what's with the "bling" everywhere? Who says you have to have flash to look good? The clothes are made more cheaply now, too. The price should go down, too, then. Right? WRONG!

It seems like everywhere I turn these days, clothes are getting cheaper in quality and higher in price. It's absolutely rudiculus. Rudiculus!* And it's just completely hit or miss.

So, without further ado, I'm giving you two lists: Things I like about contemporary fashion, and Things I don't.

Here's what I like:
  • Tailored clothes -- not too tight and not too baggy
  • Polka dots
  • Slightly puffed sleeves (not of the Anne Shirley variety)
  • Colors!
  • Half-sleeves
  • Rounded-toe shoes, peep-toe shoes, and flats
  • The Bohemian look
  • Brightly colored heels
  • Ties on women
  • Knee-length skirts
  • Knee-length shorts
  • Feminine cuts
  • Layers
  • Stretch cotton
  • Dark-washed jeans
  • Long-waisted shirts
  • Three-piece suits
  • Sneakers (like Converse)
  • Vintage tees
  • Textured fabrics, especially on shoes
Here's what I don't like:
  • Mini-skirts
  • Tapered pants
  • Blonde highlights on dark brown hair
  • Pointy-toe shoes
  • Too much skin exposure
  • Cap sleeves
  • Lingerie-inspired clothing
  • Bling
  • Faded and destroyed jeans
  • Cleavage and long necklaces
  • Little dogs in handbags
  • Strapless wedding gowns
  • Ankle stiletto boots
  • Gigantic sunglasses
  • Gold clothes and shoes
  • Overplucked eyebrows
  • Visible lip liner
  • Dangerously low low-rise jeans
  • Too many styles at once

* This misspelling is on purpose. Say it how it looks.

Each list really could go on and on. But I don't have enough time to think of everything. And I couldn't think of everything anyway. So please, readers, tell me what YOU think! What are the highs and lows of fashion?


Thing I'm thankful for: My mom's Color Me Beautiful book, which Lexi and I studied sometimes and which is still rather current, despite it's publication date of 1987. Good fashion rules are always in style!

3 Comments:

Blogger Lexia said...

I like mini-skirts paired with black opaque stockings. It's the only way it should be done today.

If I had a budget for buying clothes, this would be my 2006 fall wardrobe: Plaid wool skirts/dresses paired with dark long-sleeved (98% cotton and 2% spandex) shirts/turtlenecks, and of course dark leggings and flats. Think, dark monochromatic meets a bit of color or pattern. That's my fashion forecast anyway.

Sara, let the sister games begin!!! I'll call you when to start.

12:41 PM  
Blogger Jacki said...

My thought on fashion: It's not what you wear... it's how you wear it!

Fashion is soooo much more than just clothes!

12:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE fashion. That's all I have to say about that. :)

~Jennifer

5:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home