Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Writing for the Web

I just took a class for CDC employees at the Roybal Campus -- that's the big CDC center that gets all the media attention (i.e., it's the one with the nice buildings). It was a nice treat to change up my routine for the morning, and one of the best parts? I live about 7 minutes away from that center. This is the first time in a long time that I haven't had to rush my lunch when I come home.

Anyway, the class was "Writing for the Web." It was mostly about writing with Web usability in mind, so I would actually call the seminar "Formatting for the Web." At any rate, it was a nice refresher on everything I read in Don't Make Me Think, and I also learned some pretty good tips and tricks.

But what I really walked away with was a sense of relief and gratitude that I graduated with an English degree. Or that I have an aptitude for correct grammar and punctuation and concise writing. I think people think there is a quick fix for Web content -- that there are a few things you can learn, and all will be well with your Web page. And while that's partly true, I've found that the same writing that I was expected to do in my English literature classes is the writing we all expect to find on the Web. Any good writing -- whether it's a brochure, a Web page, a short story, a critical review -- has the same basic rules and principles. Engage the reader, but be concise. Use correct grammar and punctuation. Use active voice. Present things in a logical and intuitive format. (Yes, one could argue that this is not the case with stream of consciousness, but they would be wrong. There is a logical format behind it all.)

I love language. And I couldn't be more grateful that I chose to study English. It really is the best college major. :)

Thing I'm thankful for: prayer.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lexia said...

Ooooh...Fill me in on the juicy details later. Seriously.

1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home