Wednesday, May 24, 2006

I Came Ahcrahs A Wicked Good Site


I was browsing around ahnline yestahday and found this: The Wicked Good Guide to Boston English. The Snows ah reahly gawna eat this up.

Okay -- I'm dropping the accent for a minute. I was perusing the site, when it occurred to me that Boston English is a lot like British English. Take for example the "r" that's added to words that end in vowels (when they precede words that begin with vowels) -- very British. I was considering this, when I came upon that very discussion on the site. And I immediately thought, "Wow. My British movie-watching has really served me well in deciphering language sounds and origins." :)

So check out this excerpt from the site. It's really good.

Don't worry about poor lost New England R's, however. In typical Yankee fashion, we re-use 'em - by sticking them on the ends of certain other words ending with "uh" sounds: "Ah final ahs just disappeah, but wheah they go we've no idear." But wait, it gets more complex. As seasoned Boston English speakah Alan Miles has gently tried to pound into a poor Nooyawka's thick head, that missing R only reappears when the word is followed by another word that starts with a vowel, for example: "I have no idear if the movie begins at nine or ten," but, "Does the movie begin at 9 or 10? I have no idea."

I absolutely love it.

Thing I'm thankful for: my wicked good family and our love of speaking in dialect.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ezra said...

I uzed tah live in Massashusetts. I uzed tah pahk my cah in Havahd yahd next to Tito Russo's place who uzed to run with Mariano Macaluso.

5:41 AM  
Blogger Nicole said...

This is hilarious, Sara. I still haven't been to Boston and have not spent a lot of time at all in New England. This makes me want to. I love hearing accents, I just can't imitate them at all. Probably because I got my very own ;o)

8:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, look! Someone in Ireland is reading your blog!

7:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the kind words! Makes me wicked pleased to know people are enjoying the guide.

3:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home