Tuesday, May 23, 2006

What About Bob?


My mom, dad, and I were watching "What About Bob" last night. They both said Bill Murray should've won an Oscar for that role -- they especially love the movie because my dad is a psychologist and he used to have a Bob. (His name really is Bob!) Anyway, I would agree with that Oscar nod, though. Bill Murray is an incredible actor. I looked him up on IMDB and found a comment he made about the Academy Awards:

"We used to joke about it: 'Give me an affliction and I'll give you an Oscar!' They're not giving an award for acting. It's, 'Thanks for making me feel something. Here's a prize.' Somehow people don't put comedy in their emotional bank the same way. It relieves a tension, it unties a knot, but it's not something where people want to give you a prize. They just want to say, 'Thanks for making me laugh,' which I genuinely treasure. That makes me feel good."

So true, isn't it? If I were a member of "The Academy," I would nominate movies like "So I Married an Axe Murderer," "Groundhog Day," and "The Baxter." I would give Oscars to Mike Meyers, Chevy Chase, Steve Martin, and Martin Short.

Who would you give an Oscar to?

Thing I'm thankful for: watching late-night movies with my parents. I love to hear them laugh together.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read this post a few hours ago. While I have been folding laundry I have been thinking about it. You are right. This is a GREAT point. Why do all the controversial and serious films get nominated? I guess this is just one of those things that we little people can't do much about. Same goes for action movies too...although, I wouldn't say the acting in those is worth mentioning...

5:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Every time I think about how "Groundhog Day" wasn't nominated for best screenplay, I get pissed. I know, strong diction, but it's true.

8:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home