Saturday, June 11, 2005

I 'Heart' Wal-Mart

Wal-Mart has always been one of my favorite stores. How can it go wrong? I can buy in affordable bulk, AND (and this is the more important reason) it's open for all 24 hours of the day! For people like me who stay up late, it's wonderful. It's also wonderful when I have a school project due the next day, and I find I need plastic fruit (or something) in the middle of the night. Maybe there's an argument for the fact that it puts "mom and pop" places out of business, but I'd say it's a small one. I mean, COME ON! 24 HOURS! (Whoever doesn't like Wal-Mart probably isn't a procrastinator.)
Wal-Mart's standards dropped a bit, though, when Target started. Target's service was friendlier, their stores were cleaner, and the clothes were better. I always feel a little guilty when I look for a Target before I look for a Wal-Mart.
The good news is that Wal-Mart is setting its sights on those higher niceties. They are trying to cater to the Target-type customers. (I only hope they still offer low-priced options as well.) You can read all about it here. Also, read about the dropped plans for a NY Wal-Mart here. (Darn it; they came so close, so close.)

3 Comments:

Blogger Blake said...

Right on Sara! I get so sick of people saying they hate walmart, yet they always shop their like the store always offers low prices. I guess people don't hate it that much...

I also respect this post cause saying walmart is cool is like saying George W. is cool. Even if you like them, it's not hip to say it.

5:35 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

(Enter Lauren's schpiel.)
I like George W. but I don't like Wal-Mart. They ship all of their income for the day to their headquarters. Since that income doen't even stay in that town overnight, it's not taxed. So the town that has been invaded (Okay, yeah, that's a little melodramatic.) by the Wal-Mart doesn't even benefit from that income tax. It's not a symbiotic relationship. THEY DON'T GIVE BACK TO THE COMMUNITY. And Target does.

1:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lauren...you're half right. Mal-Wart is one of the worst American companies out there. Their business practices are down-right dispicable. Yeah, they may be convenient and cheap, but you get what you pay for...which, in this case, ain't much. As for W...? So much to say, so much to say...but I'll hold my tongue.

3:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home