Monday, August 11, 2014

Ch-ch-ch-changes, Pt. 4

It occurred to me that I didn't tell you where in California I was yesterday. Well, I was in Southern California. I drove through the charming little city of Blythe, which is just next to the Arizona border, and I drove through Indio, San Bernardino, and up to Bakersfield. (I kinda wanted to see L.A., but I didn't want to run into L.A. traffic. I'll have to save it for another trip.)

At any rate, yesterday was spent in Southern California; today was mostly spent driving north through the Central Valley. And ohhh, was it wonderful. Just wonderful! Hundreds and hundreds of acres of fruit trees line the road and stretch out for miles. Apricots, grapes, apples, cherries -- you name it, the Central Valley has it. I've seen plenty of farms in my life, but they have always been fields of wheat or barley or corn -- not rows of upon rows of perfectly maintained trees. It was such a sight to see! I almost drove off the road while looking at everything around me!

After a few hours of fruit in the foreground and mountains in the background, the landscape changed to something altogether unexpected: wide highways going this way and that, newly-constructed buildings with big, shiny windows, and huge, lush trees lining every street with palm trees dotting the sidewalks every now and then, too. This place was my final destination.

And here is what it looks like, in map form:



I don't quite know where I'll be living yet, but I know I'll be working in Mountain View . . . I landed a job as a user experience researcher for Google, and I start tomorrow! I'm a small bundle of nerves at the moment, but I'm also really excited! It's exciting!

I'll let you know how it goes!


Thing I'm thankful for: fresh peaches

6 Comments:

Blogger Jeff said...

Congrats! Sounds like a great opportunity

6:40 AM  
Blogger John Marriott said...

Sounds exciting. Sometime once you're settled you may want to connect with your cousin who lives in the SF area and is a VP at Genentech. She's Uncle Don's Granddaughter, Tina Larson. (She's on Google +). Her father is Joe Marriott, who lives in Loveland CO, where Tina was born and raised. Joe has worked his entire life (still working) at HP and its successor companies in CO. He's an EE genius.

You'll have sticker shock at the prices in the bay area, but that's just because people who work there are generally paid very well (but, you already knew that). Wishing you much happiness and success in your new job!

6:51 AM  
Anonymous Barry said...

Wow! So awesome Sara! Congratulations! :)

9:27 AM  
Blogger cardlady said...

We are so proud of you, and your accomolishments. Go get 'em SNOWS girl.#changingthetide#inatechmansworld.

9:35 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yay! You're there :D Sounds like you had a wonderful trip. My sister lives in the central valley... surrounded by delicious fruit :) Enjoy your first week! Best wishes with the house hunt.

~Sister Hanks

9:45 AM  
Blogger Cecilia said...

sounds like the coolest job ever! Congratulations and I look forward to hearing all the updates!

11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home