Wednesday, September 04, 2013

Too Much Customer Service?

I didn't think there was such a thing as too much customer service, but I think I was wrong.

I walked into a Chase Bank today to deposit a couple of checks.  Before I even got to the front of the establishment, I could see one of the employees standing just outside the double glass doors -- all suited up and ready to be helpful.  I thought, "Really?  They're standing outside now?"

See, the thing is that I've been using this particular Chase branch for the last couple of years, and every time I go, it's the same thing -- eager (or bored?) employees waiting to wait on me.  It seems nice at first, but after a while, I just want to get in there, make my deposit, and get out.  I don't want to chit-chat with someone new each time.*  Plus, I know how to make a deposit quickly.  It's easier to just do it myself than to sit down at a banker's personal desk and let him or her fill out the deposit slip for me.  Who needs help at the bank after the first time, anyway?  It can be a little intimidating to open an account, but once you've done that and made your first trip, you just don't need much assistance anymore.

So aneeeway . . .  There I was, walking toward the doors, when the man in the suit greeted me.  I avoided eye contact while I curtly said hello and quickly went in.  Thankfully, no one was at the front desk, so I went to the table with the deposit slips, etc. and began doing what I went to the bank to do.  As I was completing my slip, though, the outside greeter came by, paused for a moment while he watched me write, and said, "Hi, my name is _____; if you need anything after you make your deposit, just come over to my desk and let me know."  Of course I rushed to the teller as quickly as I could before _____ saw me, even though he was on the phone, anyway.

I left feeling irritated with that branch's overzealous approach to customer service.  Banks are not places I want to spend much time in; as I said before, I want to get in and get out.  If Chase was a theme park or a playground or an airport, I might say, "Yeah, sure -- give me a few reasons to stay here a while," but a bank?  Just make my errand as quick as possible, give me a Dum Dum at the end, and smile as you say goodbye.

What do you think, readers?  Is there such a thing as too much customer service?


*Then again, I'm one of those people who doesn't like to be talked to while I shop for clothes, get my teeth cleaned, or have my hair cut.



Thing I'm thankful for: meatball subs

4 Comments:

Blogger Dan Bagby said...

Its not customer service... it is a sales guy. At Chase you may not notice and it seems like they are just trying to help, but he actually wanted to get you to sit down so he can look at your account and see any opportunities to get you signed up for a new service, new credit card, loan, or anything more than you already have. Same thing at a cell phone store, car dealership when you go to get your car serviced, etc.

4:37 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

Hmmm. Interesting. Very interesting . . .

4:40 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

i'm with dan. i never go to banks because chris always does that but he's like you, efficient and very not in the mood to chit chat. he sometimes comes home really irritated from his experience at banks because they're always trying to "help" him by signing him up for auto bill pay or having him open some sort of new savings account or something. and no matter how many times he says "no thanks, i'm not interested," they keep coming at him with why he really needs it. so frustrating. sooo, i'm with dan. it's not customer service... it's sales.

5:23 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

When I closed my chase account, it freaked the teller - and the branch manager - out. They tried everything they could think of to get me to change my mind. It was simultaneously amusing and really annoying.

6:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home