Wednesday, October 03, 2012

Presidential Debate No. 1

I'll admit -- This is the first time I've watched an entire presidential debate.  It's shameful, really, and I'm a little embarrassed about it.  At any rate, I watched President Obama and Romney tonight, and as the whole thing came to a close, I thought, "Gosh, I'm glad people want to be president, 'cause I sure would never want to be!"  It's true; I'd never ever* want to be any sort of public figure, least of all a political one!  It might be a close race this year, and although I have an idea who I'm going to cast my vote for, I'm still impressed with either candidate.  I generally have a good feeling about both of them, which is more than I can say for candidates past.  So . . . May the best man win?

That brings me to another thought, which is that I don't understand debates at all.  I wasn't on the debate team in high school, nor do I follow politics on a regular basis, so it's no surprise that I don't get the rules.  I didn't even really know there were rules.  All I know is that immediately after tonight's debate, reporters were talking about how well Romney did and how President Obama was "too professorial" and "didn't look at Romney very much."  Can someone explain this to me?

*Like, ever.


Thing I'm thankful for: Blue Bell Dutch Chocolate

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not an expert, but I was taught that you address who you debate as a show of both respect for them and confidence in your own argument...

10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home