Friday, May 18, 2012

The Snows are Alive with the Sound of Music!

Something I like about my family is that we all appreciate music.

Just yesterday, my brother posted something on his blog about music he's been listening to lately, and I thought about how music means so much to everyone in my family.  What I figure, is that my parents taught my siblings and me a lot through music.  Let me show you; here is the music I learned to love because of my parents:
  • Golden Oldies -- I'm talkin' 50s and 60s, here, folks.  Stuff like Elvis, Buddy Holly, Santo and Johnny, and Sonny and Cher.  I guess I'll include Motown, The Beatles, and The Beach Boys here, too.
  • Classical Music -- I'm including Baroque in this.  And opera, too.
  • Country and Folk -- From the likes of Patsy Cline, Hank Williams, and The Kingston Trio.
  • Classic Crooners -- Nat King Cole, Frank Sinatra . . .  You get the idea.
  • Random stuff throughout the years
In turn, my parents listened to (and liked) the music my siblings and I played:
  • 70s Rock and/or Psychedelic -- Mostly I'm thinking of Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd.
  • 80s Bands and One-Hit Wonders -- My dad particularly liked Hall and Oates.
  • 90s Alternative Rock -- Yes, my parents listened to some Nirvana songs and Weezer, too.  Gosh, I love it when my mom bobs her head to "Pink Triangle."

They only liked the good stuff.  The good, clean stuff.  Their approach to music is similar to their approach to life, I guess.  They taught us what they knew, were open and respectful of our ideas and opinions, and let us know when we were pushing the limits.  As a result, my older brothers and sisters and me are fairly open to new perspectives, and at the same time, we are able to stand our ground on principles that mean the most to us.  I'm grateful for that.  It makes living in this world a whole lot easier.

Thanks, mom and dad.  I love you both a lot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home