Thursday, May 03, 2012

Ich Leibe Deutsch

In the 4th grade, I fell in love with German. My classmate Will was half-German; he was a blonde beanpole. His dad spoke German fluently, of course, and he came to our class one afternoon to teach us basic vocabulary. We learned how to count to 20, and to this day, my favorite number in German is 20, "zwanzig." He taught us colors; I liked red and green, "rot" and "grun." (Grun should have an umlaut.) He taught us goodbye, "Auf Weidersehen."

Something lit up inside me that day, and I don't know why. What makes people attracted to one culture or another? In my experience, nearly everyone hates German, and nearly everyone loves French or Italian or some other Latin language. While many people think German is cacophonous and harsh, I think it sounds utterly beautiful. Forget about soft trills and Romantic cadences; I like the structure of German, the dropped R's, and S's that sound like Z's.

Just listen to the opening monologue of Mostly Martha; it is wonderful. Or wunderbar.


Thing I'm thankful for: sunlight and breezes

7 Comments:

Blogger Peter said...

I believe the standard way to write umlaut without special characters is to put an e after the vowel, so gruen.

And people who think any language is beautiful to the exclusion of others are missing out.

12:24 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

Ha! Gruen! Duh! Thanks, Petey!

3:44 PM  
Blogger Dracoverde said...

you can get around the trouble of typing accents by adding other language keyboards to your settings on your computer. If you don't quite know how the keyboard is set up in that language you can turn on the on-screen keyboard for help.

I like the word grün because the ü is my favorite sound in Deutsch.

3:59 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

Mmm . . . My favorite sound is ӧ. In fact, ӧffnen is my favorite word in German. :)

4:03 PM  
Blogger Brooke Russell said...

You should go live there for a year! http://www.humboldt-foundation.de/web/german-chancellor-fellowship.html

5:33 PM  
Blogger cardlady said...

DUH! You are part German and you used to love to hear me say my German from High School. Sprechen zie Deutch? Ya voll. Ich Liebe Dich!
Maiden name, Schmitt! HELLO!

8:06 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

German is such a fun language to hear spoken harshly :)

On a more serious note, great examples of beautiful german include Die Zauberflöte, Der Ring des Nibelungen, or even something as simple as O Tannenbaum.

Now Die Moritat von Mackie Messer is a different matter entirely...
(Still no clue why the likes of Frank Sinatra have done an english rendition of that piece)

8:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home