Monday, October 31, 2011

Love is a Choice

This post may seem an odd one after Halloween, but a friend just e-mailed me a link to an article about love that I thought was too interesting not to remark on.

In the article (When the Words Don't Fit), the author states that "love chooses us." I think that's crazy. What does that even mean? Love chooses us. Ha!

We choose love! Or put in a different way, we choose to love. Love is a choice. It's not magic, and it's not some intangible, indescribable thing that just floats around in the clouds and plops on two random people at a time. It's not like Cupid, shooting arrows. I have enough love in my life to know that to love is something we consciously and conscientiously do. It involves getting to know someone, sharing special moments with that person, and doing acts of service. Love isn't "a fancy or a feeling," as Hartley Coleridge rightly observed. It's an action.

I'm so tired of people pretending like it's magic, as if it makes romantic relationships more romantic.

The one benefit about this false concept of love, is that I can immediately tell whether I will truly get along with someone. That is, if someone starts to act like love is some sparkly, pink, ethereal thing, then I know we will never really understand each other. It's an easy way to filter the so-so friends and dates from the wonderful, kindred-spirit types. :)


Thing I'm thankful for: my roommate's bobby-pinning skills. I needed hair help!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home