Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Shopping Baskets: A Study in Usability

Usability is a term that refers to how easy an object is to use or learn to use. The object can be an everyday thing, like a toothbrush, a chair, a shopping cart, or a measuring cup. It can be something complex, such as a computer or an airplane. It can also be a virtual space, such as a Web site, a smartphone application, or a search engine.

In school, I'm focusing on how to make the last group of objects usable, but right now, I want to take a break from homework and tell you about an everyday object I discovered recently that I found to be extremely usable.


That's right; it's just a shopping basket. BUT! Target has re-designed it to make their customers' shopping experience who knows how many times better! Instead of being square, it curves to the contours of your legs. The orientation of the handle is such that you don't have to hold the basket far away from you to keep it from hitting your knees. Lastly, the handle itself is thick, so that when you have heavy items in your basket, it doesn't cut into your hand.

I love noticing usable things.

Thanks, Target!


Thing I'm thankful for: Wednesday lunches

3 Comments:

Blogger Krisanne said...

I was so thrilled when I saw these new baskets at Target! It's really the little things, isn't it?

8:38 PM  
Blogger Jacqueline said...

Ooh, fun. Wonder if it's just in Texas/certain places. The Target I was at yesterday didn't have new baskets yet.

6:58 AM  
Anonymous SmegmaEater said...

Well isn't that cute, but it's wrong!

6:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home