Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Growing Up

The good thing about being 28 and a half is that it reminds me how close I am to being 30.

For whatever reason, 30 seems to be a great demarcation in life. People are no longer excused from immaturity or bad behavior. "In your twenties," sounds a lot younger than "in your thirties." At 30, you're supposed to have done something with your life. Career-wise, you're supposed to know what you want to do, you're supposed to be married or dating somebody, and you're supposed to have things going on.

Perhaps that's just the way I see 30, but I don't think it's just me. I think it's everyone. In the United States, anyway. So I'm using this seemingly arbitrary age of adulthood as a way to get me moving this year. I'm a big believer in action, though I feel I haven't really done much since I was 24. But the next year and a half . . . It's gonna be different. I'm going to create habits now that I should've years ago, so that when I turn 30, I won't feel like saying, "Agh! I'm 30! What have I done with my life?!?"

Here's what I'm going to do to make that happen:
  • Exercise regularly. I mean, really regularly, like training-for-a-marathon regularly.
  • Wash my makeup off every night. It's amazing that I get away with this. Maybe it's because I don't wear much makeup.
  • Eat meat sparingly.
  • Get in control of my finances. The kind of control where my money is working for me.
  • Minimize. Everything. Debt, clutter, fat, and things I have but don't need.
  • Volunteer. I'm not okay with just giving a smile or a listening ear, anymore. Those are soft acts of service that honestly, I think I'm fairly good at. I need to start helping people in need of food, shelter, and education.
I think I'm doing good already, in fact. I signed up for a volunteer activity this week, and when I got home today, I wrote this reminder on my bathroom mirror with a dry-erase marker: "Don't idle away your time!"

Here's to an excellent year and a half!

Readers, what habits do YOU want to form?


Thing I'm thankful for: a job. A job, a job, a job. It can't be said enough.

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, 30 is something different...but you still have a few more months to enjoy your life ;)

7:41 AM  
Blogger A Frost said...

30 is wonderful! As I look back at my life I can see how all the experiences in my twenties have been concencrated into the person I am now. Love you. I will call you later this week and tell you the whole story.

8:17 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

30 has such a negative connotation, doesn't it? Ugh. Who says your life is supposed to be on any certain path or fitting some mold by the time you're 30? I don't care who, because if it's not you then it doesn't matter!

Good for you and your proactive goals. I'm trying to do the same.

I've started exercising, though not in a marathon sort of way.

I've got a meeting at our local womens' shelter this afternoon to discuss volunteer opportunities.

And I'm going to start limiting my blogging, because it's actually getting in the way of school and sleep. Whoops. Fail.

Good luck with all your goals! Let me know how you do!

9:14 AM  
Blogger Rose and Daniel said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't take her makeup off at night. I don't know how I got out of that habit. It's somethink I should work on too! Thanks for the inspiration, Sara!

6:11 PM  
Blogger Dracoverde said...

I have recently found that ambitious goals can be acheived with great sucess with the principle of "here a little, there a little" put into action. That when looking back after a time of consistant effort I find myself acheiving a level of excelence beyond that which I dreamed of previously.

8:34 PM  
Blogger Jacki said...

That's right money... You work for ME now!! I want to do that too!

7:54 AM  
Blogger Tyson K said...

Just passing through! If only everyone volunteered at something, gl with it all

http://UGottaHearThis.blogspot.com

7:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home