Wednesday, October 14, 2009

I'm Meeting Jimmy Carter Tomorrow!

Because I work with Habitat for Humanity International, I get to help out with a big-time book-signing tomorrow. David Rubel, author of the book "If I Had a Hammer: Building Homes and Hope with Habitat for Humanity," will be at the Carter Center tomorrow, along with former President Jimmy Carter, to sign the book.

Jimmy Carter wrote the foreword for the book, and I must say, it was touching. I only read part of it this afternoon, but as I read it, I thought, "Sara, you ungrateful citizen. You need to offer service MUCH more than you do."

And it's true. I am so selfish most of the time. But every once in a while -- and especially lately -- I feel like Heavenly Father hits me in the spiritual head, reminding me that there are so many ways to help people who are less fortunate than me. Take for instance, this article from Habitat World: 25 Things You Should Know About Poverty. (Go on, read it!) It was one of those hits.

So I'm meeting Jimmy Carter tomorrow, and that'll be neat. But mostly, I think it will be good to be in the presence of someone whose whole life is basically about service. It's a critical reminder to be better about doing my part to make this world a happy place, which is really the heart of the gospel of Jesus Christ. Also, it's a reminder that people like me have the option and ability to change the world, if they only try.

So here is my public announcement that I will be better. I will serve others. And I will track my progress periodically on my blog. Hold me to it, readers, if I slip!


Thing I'm thankful for: a place to call home. Really, it's such a blessing -- one of the best.

1 Comments:

Blogger jet said...

Ahh, we need an update on how this went! :) :)

8:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home