Saturday, July 04, 2009

Strange Things in Nashville

I guess I should use my Twitter account to give everyone the latest updates of my adventures in Nashville, but then I feel like I'm leaving my blog out in the cold! So here's an interesting story for my first day in Tennessee (pictures to come . . .):

My girlfriends Carrie, Nikki, and Andrea and I went to find some live music late tonight. Andrea wanted some country pop/rock, which I'm not really into, but most of the time, live music is good music. Still, I was feeling pretty unfulfilled and hungry, so after we left that place at 10:30 or so, we looked for a restaurant that was open. We found a good barbeque place, and to my delight, there was a band! That played bluesy music and old jam-band country! Yay!

We were having a good time, when three (obviously drunk) guys (who were probably in their late 30s) sat at the table next to us. They looked in our direction almost as soon as they sat down . . . One guy had something awkward sticking out of the tip of his right middle finger, which kind of grossed Nikki and me out. So we decided not to think about it.

Turns out, we did have to think about it. Awkward finger guy came over to our table, pulled up a chair, and began to make small talk. Then again, maybe the small talk wasn't so small. Here's the gist of the conversation:

Awkward finger guy: Hi! Do any of you girls have tattoos?
Carrie, Nikki, Andrea, and me: Nope.
AFG: Really? Not even the kind on your lower back?
Carrie, Nikki, Andrea, and me: Nope.*
AFG: Hm. That's weird. No tramp stamps? It seems like you'd all have tattoos, especially you (looking in Nikki's direction).**

(At this point, AFG proceeds to describe one of his tattoos, which Andrea later explains is a euphemism for something entirely inappropriate.)

Carrie, Nikki, Andrea, and me: silent.
AFG: How old are you?
Sara: 27.
Nikki: Almost 25.
Carrie: 30.
Andrea: 29.
AFG: Wow -- I feel young! I thought you'd all be younger!

(There were small exchanges about how we were visiting from Atlanta and about how Carrie wouldn't tell the guy which hotel we were staying at. There was also a lot of awkward silence.)

AFG: You all looked like you were in a serious conversation. You all need to smile more. Especially you (looking in Nikki's direction). Why are you so sad? Did your cat die?
Nikki: Yes. Yes, it did.**

During this whole event, our blessed waiter gave us our checks, and at this point, he had brought our cards and receipts back. His swiftness was astonishing. I think he realized we were being patronized. So we got out of there very quickly; I think I mumbled "Have a good night."

We laughed on the way back to our hotel, and I thought about how it would make for a good story, at least. Still, one wonders why those guys would've wanted to hit on us, anyway. We were clean, modestly-dressed girls who kept to ourselves. Did we really look like we wanted to interact with guys who were clearly drunk and clearly looking for "a good time?" Weird.


*It was at this point that I realized there were pins sticking out of his finger, just above his fingernail. There was some kind of blood blister or something going on there . . . Maybe he broke his finger? At any rate, it was disgusting. And he slightly touched Nikki's arm with the affected finger at one point. Gross.
**Nikki does not look like she would have a tattoo.
***No, it did not. She doesn't even have a cat.


Thing I'm thankful for: This is probably wrong of me, but I'm thankful that Awkward Finger Guy singled Nikki out and not me. I'm sorry I didn't rescue her from the conversation more often, but I was glad I wasn't sitting nearest to him. Also, I'm thankful to have guys around at times like these . . . They offer a certain amount of intimidation and thus, protection. It's nice.

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

sorry for your weird experience, but it was good reading!

9:08 AM  
Blogger cardlady said...

If it was a slash bar slash grill, this is the reason you always have some drunks in these establishments. I am glad you handled yourselves well and got out and weren't foolish and answered his questions correctly. YEA! Yes, Tennessee is beautiful country and we have ancestors buried there in Franklin. Love MOM

2:03 PM  
Blogger jet said...

LOL! Good times in Tennessee!
And I can totally see why they'd want to talk to ya'll - have you looked in a mirror? :)

12:09 PM  
Blogger Heather S. said...

Thing I'm thankful for... that none of them followed you out of there and hurt you. Phew!
You should've told them you were all Mormon and have the same husband and he happened to let you all out for a girl's night. That would be HILARIOUS to see his reaction with that one.

7:43 AM  
Anonymous Summer said...

I laughed and laughed at the * description regarding AFG. What a funny story. I wish you would have taken a picture.

8:14 PM  
Blogger Lexia said...

Guys don't think when they're drunk - that's why.

8:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home