Friday, September 19, 2008

Does My Vote Count?

This is a question I have been asking myself for a while now. I didn't want to admit it because although I don't usually write about politics on my blog, they are somewhat important to me. I would say they are very important to me, but I feel guilty because I haven't been paying attention to important national issues at all, really. I definitely need to research each presidential candidate more, but honestly, I don't favor either one right now. I have a hard time believing that after personal study of the election and issues at hand, I'll have a solid decision on who to vote for. To be even more honest, I think the U.S. and the world at large is going to get a lot worse before it gets better. I know plenty liberal Democrats and extreme conservative Republicans are scratching their heads and shaking their fingers at me, asking, "How can things get any worse?" Well, I think they can and will.

I've been wondering, too, whether my vote really does count. It's been a while since my last American Government class, and I'd forgotten how the election process works. So I started to give into the mentality that no, I can't change the direction of the vote. Thinking that way made me feel like a bad citizen—especially as a woman. Afterall, women in the early 1900s worked hard to gain suffrage.

So this afternoon during my lunch break, I searched for some information on whether or not my vote really does count. I found a site that easily explains the general election process and states that yes, individual votes do count. Yes, it's written for a young-ish audience, and yes, I can probably find sites with information about how individual votes don't count. But for me? I think I will end up voting this year. I have about a month and a half to figure it out; I'll let you know how it goes.

Oh, here's the site I mentioned: Does My Vote Count? Understanding the Electoral College.


Thing I'm thankful for: babies' smiles.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lauren said...

I'm glad you decided that you're going to vote this year. I've never been so motivated to believe that my vote does count than this election year. And if you vote, you have the option to whine and complain if the president doesn't do a great job. Otherwise, you have no whining rights as far as I'm concerned.

And I completely agree that things will get worse before they get better. It's part of the paring down process, I think. We've lived in excess for so long that I think the economy is righting itself.

6:13 PM  
Blogger J'net said...

Yeah! I like baby smiles too!
They let us know things will go on!
Even when the politics seems like a soap-opera and
candidates take an about face turn one hr. to the next and the govt. will hang by a thread... Maybe it will be financial, not security as it appeared with 911 and the "code orange" with the fluid thing at the airports?
And YES this is the promised land, but we are shifting there too w/o GOD and prayer and on and on. SO I will buy EXTRA water and pull my head out of the sand and attempt to vote too! Thanks for the plug about women enjoying the voting right! Good point!

11:57 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

a question more relevant to some of us would be, "does my vote count if i'm ignorant?" i mean, where the crap is a side by side comparison of their platforms. and then i guess i'd have to research each topic on the platform to figure out if each one is good or bad. if somebody's already got a good source so that that would only take about half an hour, let me know.

1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home