Wednesday, July 02, 2008

That's the Way (Uh-huh, Uh-huh) I Like It! or My Chocolate Ice Cream Epiphany

I just got back from Bruster's. I went there out of loneliness . . . My roommate is gone. She's sleeping at her new house for the night, and in a month, she'll be gone for good. Her fiance is stealing her away from me. :(

Well, I decided I needed some ice cream to curb those lonely feelings, and I needed to get out of my nearly empty apartment. (Jackie owns almost all of the furniture.) So I walked over to Bruster's to buy my favorite: a single scoop of chocolate ice cream on a cake cone. Nobody (but me, it seems) gets plain chocolate ice cream, so imagine my surprise when the teenager on the other side of the sliding window said, "We're out." What? How can this be?

"Really?" I asked.
"Yep, surprisingly, we're out."

What was I going to do? "Well," I muttered, "Can I have a sample of the mint chocolate chip?" I know very well that I do not like Bruster's mint chocolate chip. But what else am I supposed to get? "What is Fudge Ripple?" "Tin Lizzy?" "Okay. Okay, I'll get Tin Lizzy."

Tin Lizzy was definitely going to be a winner. And I was trying something new -- something I don't do often. When I took my first bite, though, I knew it wasn't a match made in heaven. Darn it! That's nearly three dollars wasted!

In that moment of disappointment, my mind recalled a past incident of trying new food. I was at my favorite Atlanta Mexican restaurant, El Torero, with a few friends. When I ordered the old standby, a chicken chimichanga, Kevin asked, "Don't you ever order anything new?" It prompted a discussion about trying new dishes at restaurants. The argument was, of course, that I should try new foods. Sean posed this question: "What if you go for 26 years eating the same meal everyday?" Well, Sean, what if you do? "What if there's something better, and you miss it?"

After thinking about this question for some time, I have to say that his argument is rubbish. I don't think there's anything wrong with liking something and knowing that you like it so much that you want it again and again and again. Sometimes I try new food, and I like it. More often than not, I don't like it. The more I think about it, the more I realize that I just know what I want pretty quickly. I know my tastes so well, that the dish I pick first is usually the one I like the best. Yes, there may be something better, but chances are that I've picked the best for myself, anyway. Besides, I think there's something inherently wrong in living life with the attitude that there might be something better. What if there isn't? You'd end up wishing you'd gotten what you knew you liked in the first place. Perhaps people ought to be satisfied with what they presently have. Why do people always want to see what's behind curtain/door number three? But . . . I'm starting to philosophize on more than just food . . . ;)

The point is, is that after I took a few bites of Tin Lizzy, I knew I didn't want it, and I knew there is nothing wrong in knowing what you like and getting it -- even if it is for the twentieth time.

This whole thought process occurred in the span of about two minutes -- the brain is absolutely amazing -- and after those two minutes passed, I walked straight to Kroger, dumped that stupid Tin Lizzy-filled cone in the nearest trash can, and bought myself Mayfield Chocolate Almond ice cream. I rented "Ratatouille" (which I've seen already), and walked back home, feeling quite content with the night's selections.

Hey, people can try new things, if they want, but I'm not going to feel bad about sticking with the things I like.


Thing I'm thankful for: divine guidance and care.

7 Comments:

Blogger Lauren said...

You know, I hold the complete opposite point-of-view. I've always known that we've differed on this, but it's interesting to see it spelled out.

And, for those of us on the other side of the fence -- or for me, anyway -- I have to say, the desire to try something new (food, movie, etc.) doesn't mean that I'm looking for something better to replace an old favorite. For me, variation is the main benefit of trying something new. Curiosity. Inquisitiveness. That's what it's about. For me, anyway.

10:49 PM  
Blogger Lexia said...

Hooray! She's back! I loved this post, but I'll comment later 'cause right now I'm off to Maine to try a new place... heh, heh.

9:59 AM  
Blogger jet said...

I agree with Lexia - yeah, your'e back! :)
And on a side note, I once met a lady who argued that you should eat the same food everyday because during an emergency, you'll be happy with your low-variety food supply.

11:03 AM  
Blogger M Crew said...

Sara Snow you are hilarious! But I couldn't agree more. If you know you like something, just stick to it!
Hope life is treating you well. :)

9:51 AM  
Blogger Jacki said...

Huh, I feel like you should come over for Sunday dinner and we will discuss this. You are such a great writer!!! I could not have articulated such a thought so beautifully!

9:23 PM  
Blogger J'net said...

Aloha, blog surfing... Been away from it for ONE week mainland-ing, and Jax said you were bbsitting and I thought MAYBE you'd have a Jordyn picture update...
Loved the "new item" blog.
SO true, when it's a keeper, keep it!!
Ask other people about the different flavor and keep your own favorite, is my idea,
otherwise, it just ends up being a waste of calories...!
We usually pass the plate and taste each other's, that way we aren't stuck with a whole dish of "new taste" and disappointment.
Good job gettin' out for the evening during your "room mate" absence... Pointless to just sit around when there are MILLIONS of options in Atlanta!
Ice Cream is a good pursuit, we seem to pick the DVD/Blockbuster path several times a week!
Jax says you aren't moving now... Found a new roomie and stayin' put!? Good move!
Love your Thankful thought at the end of the blogs.
Good example for all of us!
Thankful for: the "Atlanta" connection, family-wise!
Luv and ALoha

1:20 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

That's funny, Sara, because I've had this discussion a lot lately, too--just the opposite way. People always get annoyed with me because I'm not predictable in what I want (food-wise that is; movies: very predictable). I hate to eat left-overs of the same meal more than twice after the original. I can't eat cereal every morning. I can't even eat the same snacks every day and I have to buy five different kinds of fruit every week so I have variety. Otherwise I quit eating. Can't stand lack of variety. I'm a nut.

10:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home