Thursday, May 22, 2008

Nicknames

Hi. My name's Sara, but you can call me Sawa. Or Sa. Or Sara, Plain and Tall. Or Snowflake, Snowball, Sara Pure as Snow, Sairneau, Nanna, Ninkers, Chocolate Girl, or Sugar Cookie.

I have been called by each of those names at least once.

I was talking about nicknames today with a friend and thought about how I didn't used to like them. My family tried calling me Sadie when I was very young, and I screamed and screamed until they dropped it. I liked full names, and I liked people to call other people by their full names.

Things started to change, though, when my first niece was born. I started to make up a lot of different nicknames for her, and I actually used them on a regular basis. It was then, I guess, that I realized that nicknames are fun because they are created out of love. We give people nicknames when they're special to us. Sure, I suppose bullies and insecure tweens make nicknames, too, but even though they're usually negative, they're created because someone was different or special. Nicknames are for the people who stand out in our lives.

So now I use nicknames when someone really means a lot to me, and I love it when people use nicknames for me. What are my favorites? I suppose I like them all, but my top three are Sa, Sawa, and Sugar Cookie.

Do you like your nicknames? What's your favorite?


Thing I'm thankful for: Time to read scriptures during lunch. It breaks up the day nicely. :)

8 Comments:

Blogger Lauren said...

Ah, I have to comment on this one. Trying to remember the nicknames you've given me. Help me out here:
MacDuff
Duff Stuff
Lookout La Femme (my favorite)

I know there are more, but I can't remember them.

My great-grandpa called me Nerual (Lauren backwards) and my brother Rekrap (Parker backwards).

8:49 AM  
Blogger Lexia said...

Nanna, I think these are pretty much the only nicknames I've ever had:
Le
Lex
Lexi
Sexy Lexi.

I can think of a million more nicknames that you've had, though (either given by me or Cami).

4:08 PM  
Blogger Eve said...

I have some pretty good ones and definitely bad ones-
Summer's Eve
Eve of Destruction
Eve Adella Dolly Doo
Lil' Evil
Evil Devil
Psychadella

But my favorite is the one that I gave to my sister Rebekah-

Bekah Big Banana Bootie Bottom with a Big Banana Bulging Belly Bucktooth Bug eyes Bekah
(I would sing it to her)

4:16 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

I, too, didn't grasp the whole nickname thing until later in life. A select few call me Care Bear, but the only one that's really stuck is Bird, oddly enough.

8:31 AM  
Blogger jet said...

Sugar Cookie! Hee hee. I love it!

9:00 PM  
Blogger Woody said...

I like my nickname... Woody.
My dads side of the family called me Claybo. When I started school I thought my middle name was "Bo". I love nicknames because it seems to set you apart from the crowd. It is a special name that you can relate to with only a few loved ones and friends.

11:20 PM  
Blogger cardlady said...

Guess it was only in the last 5 years I've been calling you Chickadee! Chickadee.

9:10 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

Haha! Yep, that's true, mom!

3:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home