Friday, April 25, 2008

Food or Sleep?

I went to bed last night thinking about what I would choose first: food or sleep. Yes, yes -- I know both are essential to life, but if I had to pick one, what would it be? To put it another way, if I was both extremely exhausted and extremely hungry, what would I choose to do first -- eat or sleep?

I think I'd choose to sleep. I can function on not a lot of either, but I start to get more irritated and irritating when I'm tired. Tired Sara equals cranky Sara. I can stand to be hungry, though; it's not too difficult for me to go without food for long stretches . . .

What about you? Do you value sleep over food, too?


Thing I'm thankful for: Being in the position to even write this kind of post. I hope it's not insensitive; I don't mean for it to be offensive. I know there are plenty of people in this world who don't get enough food or sleep. I do honestly wonder, though, which one is more important. Are they equally necessary to life; is one more important than the other; or is it different for different people?

5 Comments:

Blogger Jacki said...

This is funny Sara! When I was first pregnant I would throw up if I got too hungry. So every morning, going about 9 hours without eating, I would go in the bathroom and throw up. Well my doctor told me that I needed to eat something every morning around 3am so I wouldn't get too hungry. I just couldn't do it though because I was too tired to get up and eat something. So I guess in a long drawn out way I am saying that I choose sleep over food too!

But I do get SUPER CRANKY when I don't have both.

8:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I prefer sleep over food but if I am extremely hungry it is hard to get to sleep. Basically, I can't go without the food if I want to enjoyed my sleep.

Barry

PS

You know those "captcha" things with the letters you have to put in the box to post are really getting too complicated to read.

6:44 PM  
Blogger Lexia said...

My initial thought was sleep. Then I started thinking about it and wondered that if I chose sleep instead of food, would my blood sugar level drop so low that I couldn't wake up and would then pass out and die? So, perhaps I would grab a bite to eat.

However, I will say this, whenever I've been out in the sun all day or at the beach, I come home and crash without even thinking about food.

I guess it depends on how exhausted I am and whether or not it's a life and death situation. It's a good thing I don't have Diabetes...yet.

9:15 PM  
Blogger kelly said...

I'm with Barry, if I am hungry, I can't sleep. But I still choose food overall, sure I get grumpy if I'm tired but it's nothing compared to how grumpy I get when I'm hungry. I also get shaky and weak, it's unpleasant all around. Yay food!!

1:33 PM  
Blogger Ashley Terry said...

I think I choose sleep over food. In fact, I do that on a regular basis. I would rather sleep longer than have breakfast or if I am too tired at night, I will fall asleep without having dinner. It's worth it to me. Because i might be a little cranky without food, but without sleep I can be positivly miserable!!

Good post Sara!!

10:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home