Monday, April 16, 2007

Can You Guess What State I'm From?

I don't think most people can. Apparently a lot of people lately can't, anyway. For whatever reason, I've told several people recently that I'm from Oklahoma, and they seem surprised. Maybe it's because I don't really have an accent. And look, GoToQuiz doesn't think so either:

What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The West

Your accent is the lowest common denominator of American speech. Unless you're a SoCal surfer, no one thinks you have an accent. And really, you may not even be from the West at all, you could easily be from Florida or one of those big Southern cities like Dallas or Atlanta.

The Midland

Boston

North Central

The Inland North

Philadelphia

The South

The Northeast

What American accent do you have?
Quiz Created on GoToQuiz

(I think something's wrong with the code for this thing because those lines should actually be boxes, showing me just how much of each accent I could have. Basically, it's in descending order. So if I had an accent, I would sound mostly like I'm from the Midlands, least like the Northeast.)

Thanks go to Heather for the blog idea. She and I have a thing for talking in different accents . . . So what about you, readers? Where does your accent say you hail from?


Thing I'm thankful for: my OK roots.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jacki said...

That is funny, because it says that I am from the midland. Maybe you took the quiz for me and I took it for you on accident!

5:14 PM  
Blogger Clint said...

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

Huh...that's about right.

6:22 AM  
Blogger Lexia said...

Here are my very incorrect results:
"North Central" (followed by Boston and the West) is what professional linguists call the Minnesota accent. If you saw "Fargo" you probably didn't think the characters sounded very out of the ordinary. Outsiders probably mistake you for a Canadian a lot.

uhh...I've never even been to a North Central state in my life. However, people in France always asked me if I was Canadian.

3:55 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

I came out with this:
You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

Funny, being a foreigner constantly being mistaken for someone w/ a dialect...

9:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home