Thursday, July 20, 2006

Look, Ma, I'm Growin' Up!

Last week I realized something: I'm glad I'm not married yet.

I became a working girl right out of college. Every day I get up much earlier than my desired waking time and go to work. Sometimes I'm busy, and sometimes I'm not. But either way, I have to be at work for 8 hours, then sit in traffic, longing to be home -- where I can change into jeans and a t-shirt, put my hair up in a ponytail, and do whatever I please.

It's almost been a year since I graduated, and this work routine is still difficult for me to get used to. Driving kind of sucks the energy out of my brain most of the time, and being on a schedule is . . . against my religion. :) The hardest part about my life is that it's pretty lonely. Yes, I have friends; yes, I hang out with them; and yes, I have fun. But I have a longing to share my life with someone, just like anybody else. I think I'm mentally and spiritually prepared for marriage. I'm even getting temporally prepared for it.

But I'm really glad it hasn't happened yet. I feel a great sense of connection and understanding to other lonely people. I know that I'll appreciate my husband more than I would have if I had gotten married say, three years ago. And honestly, I think that working 9 to 5 is giving me a good understanding of what it's like to be a husband, coming home from work after a long day. I don't want to cook. I don't want to clean. (Well . . . I usually do always like to clean.) I don't really want to do much of anything. I just want to be home and "unwind." I think that's probably the biggest reason I'm glad I'm not married yet. I'm getting the chance to live in a man's shoes, sort of -- and it's a chance that probably not every young wife and mother has.

I'm very grateful for my life, and I'm thankful to Heavenly Father for knowing what I need.

BUT! Now that I know what I'm supposed to know . . . I expect a marriage within a year! :)

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I liked this post a lot. When I read the first line I have to admit that i groaned a little inwardly, but the article as a whole makes a lot of sense and definitely makes clear what you meant.

And you really are learning what it's like to be a traditional male! Maybe you need to marry a guy who's worked at a daycare center or as "manny" or a primary school teacher so he can understand what it's like to be traditional female?

8:02 PM  
Blogger Lexia said...

This post is goes against everything I blog about. How are we sisters? Ha! Ha!

8:48 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

You really are putting yourself in a man's shoes...

11:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad I'm not married yet.

Yay! Besides the quite sexist remarks about putting yourself in a man's shoes... and assuming responsibility for cooking and cleaning after marriage... this is a wonderful attitude.

This is the only time you will be able to experience life as a single working female (outside of being a widow). And there are unique experiences that are only available as a single young adult, which will enrich your married life.

I usually do always like to clean.

Wow! If I were only mormon...


If marriage is outlawed, only outlaws will have inlaws.

5:46 AM  
Blogger kelly said...

do you plan to not have a job when you get married?

1:20 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

I plan to work from home -- that's why I'm in Web work! I can work at night when my babies are sleeping. :)

That's the goal, anyway. We'll see what happens.

2:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Assuming you find a guy that works an office job, remembering the getting home and not wanting to do anything will be handy. Empathy for your partner's a wonderful thing.

And I'll trackback the rest. Want to break that habit of leaving comments longer than people's original articles. (Besides, I've lost too many valuable blog posts that way and people are telling me I don't post enough.)

8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home