Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Buying a Car: Phase II


Um, yeah. So for me, the second phase was to buy the car. My dad drove me all around Atlanta on Saturday to look for a good deal, and though I wanted a little black (overpriced) 2003 Mazda Protege, he wanted me to get a new Toyota Corolla. If I had gotten a new car, I would have gotten that one for sure. The cheap version is not the cutest car around, but Corollas do have simple and sturdy-looking engines. But how could I afford a new car? Even if it did have 0 miles on it? I couldn't.

While we were driving around, I noticed an ad for a 2003 Mazda Protege that my mom had found online. It looked good. It sounded good. I made a call. And found out it was clear over in Montgomery, Alabama! Oh no! Would my dad be willing to drive there just to look at it? We both decided that I should look at it, and I'd hold off on the Corolla (and that black Protege).

It was too late to go on Saturday, and Sunday was a no-go because the credit union wouldn't open until Monday. But what if they sold the car before I could get down there?!? So I resolved myself to wait and pray that nobody would buy it -- because I think I knew somewhere in my heart that it was the perfect car for me. Well, my mom would have nothing to do with waiting! She knew we needed to drive down on Sunday with some cash in hand for a deposit.

So on Sunday, mommy and I drove to Montgomery to look and buy, but we didn't get the car until yesterday, after I had gotten all the credit union stuff in order. When we got to the seller's house, she told us that she had had 6 more calls about the car that day. She also said that on Sunday night, a couple offered her and her husband the full amount (plus 5 dollars) in cash for the car. But she kindly told them that I had just signed the contract that afternoon! YAY! My mommy knew we needed to get down there. Mommy looks out for me!

My favorite thing about this whole experience was spending time with my parents. I spent all day Saturday with dad and all day Sunday and Monday with mommy. I had fun with both of them. I especially liked the final drive back home on Monday. Mom and I were in separate cars, but she called me about every 15 minutes with comments about anything from "watch out for cops right here" to "Look! Armadillo, armadillo!" That was a whole lotta fun.

Wait -- what is my favorite thing about the car, you ask? The alloy wheels, of course! I'm not a sporty car kind of driver -- I definitely found that out over the last 2 weeks. And I never thought wheels were a big deal. But they do make a car look good.

Anyway, I hope you didn't mind the long post today . . . I wanted this "Buying a Car" series to last a little longer; it might've been interesting for you blog readers. BUT, as it is, I'm glad it wasn't a series -- I don't think I could've handled car-shopping much longer.

Thing I'm thankful for: I'll say it again -- my mom and dad. They're names aren't actually on the car loan, but without everything they have done for me, I wouldn't be able to get a car -- or much of anything else, for that matter. So I didn't really pay for it myself . . . I've had some help for the past 24 years. :)

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool. :)

11:48 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Yay! Sexxxyyyy car.

1:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was fun! I have helped 5 of you six adult children get a good deal on a car. Passing down the info my dad gave me about purchasing a used car is great fun.
When I got my first Metallic Royal Blue Beetle, my dad was there and laughed and laughed at me. We pulled up and I didn't look at the whole picture. He saw right away they were talking to a young couple with a baby and the sellers were a young couple with a baby and I blurted out when I heard them say we might be able to come up with 1080, I will pay $1200.00
So the husband came over and talked to my dad and dad said, she wants to drive it and so we did. In 1968 it had
68,000 miles already on it but that was no big deal with VW bugs. I was in love with that car. Dad did get it down to $1100. which I paid off in 11 months. Great stories, buying first cars. Mom Snow

2:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sexy Car INDEED! Mom Snow

2:25 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

Sexy car, huh? What about the girl driving it? :)

Just kidding, of course.

2:27 PM  
Blogger Jacki said...

That is so fun! A new car, a fun story, great parents... you've got it pretty good Miss Sara Snow!

3:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice ride, Sara. Make those haters "walk it!"

3:37 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Congratulations, Sara!! Believe me, no one probably understands how big these steps are as me, we two late bloomers when it comes to automobile matters ;o) And look how far you have gotten ahead of me!!

3:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes I wonder if mom is even real. She is so funny, crazy, scatter-brained, but knows how to buy something, fix it up, and sell it to make a profit. Mom and buying are like chocolate and peanut butter. Love you mommy!!! I know she's not even going to read that.

9:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sara,
Great Car!
Great girl driving it!
Great story!
So nice to hear how greatful you are for people and things! Loved this blog.

Annette
(Lindsey's mom and Sadies grandma in VA.)

1:06 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

Thanks, Annette! (I knew it was you! You didn't have to explain yourself!)

2:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home