Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Reasons I Never Want An Engagement Ring

Despite the fact that I say I don't want an engagement ring, people seem to think that I really do want one, that I'm trying to be "cool," or that I'll change my mind when I meet Mr. Right. So to set the record straight, I'm listing my reasons for not wanting an engagement ring.
  1. I don't want to accidentally scratch my future children when I'm changing their diapers.
  2. I don't like the look of two rings on one finger.
  3. I would rather have the money go to setting up my future kitchen. Sure, there are wedding registries, but is anyone really going to get me a 300-dollar Kitchen-Aid mixer or a Corian countertop?
  4. I'm just not crazy about gems. Yes, they're pretty, and yes, they're valuable investments. But I am not as intrigued by gems as most women. I mean, when the going gets tough, and my future husband and I are struggling to make ends meet, I think I might be tempted to hawk the ring, and why not just use the cash in the first place?
With all of that said, I think it's important for me to say that I don't harbor any ill feelings towards women who do wear engagement rings. The symbolism and tradition behind engagement rings is really neat, and the rings are pretty. They're just not for me.

Thing I'm thankful for: chilly winter rain.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lauren said...

Phhh. Weirdo.

(Good morning.)

7:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Sara ____ Snow, will you marry me?" As your future husbands presents a $300 kitchen aid mixer - I can see it all so clearly. In all seriousness, ain't nothing wrong with knowing what you like and knowing what you don't like! Go on with your bad self!
~Crystal

8:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But just because you don't want a ring doesn't mean you don't want a clever engagement! :o)

9:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MOM, a jeweler at home says, just because you don't want one, doesn't mean you won't get a diamond or semi-precious stone! I wanted one, and look how long it took me to get one! hahah
P.S. I had the same worries about scratching the babies with a Marquise diamond. When I did get mine, accidentally scratched Lily (age 3) with it and she said, frowning, maybe you should take it off! Grandma.

5:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home