Monday, November 28, 2005

If You Ask, "How Are You?"

WAIT FOR AN ANSWER!

If there's one pet peeve I have, it's this: people asking me, "How are you?" or "What's up?" without waiting for my answer. If they don't want an answer, they shouldn't ask the question! Just say "hello" and move on!

Some of my international friends have pointed out to me that this is almost exclusively an American habit. One reason this habit is so irritating, is that I don't know whether a person really wants to find out how I'm doing. So when I actually answer, I feel stupid because by the time I finish the word or sentence for a reply, the person has passed, and I look like I'm talking to myself.

So fellow Americans, please be genuinely concerned about each other! If you're not, just leave your salutations to hellos and goodbyes!

3 Comments:

Blogger Beth Danae said...

AMEN! So irritating :)

4:18 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Geez, does "howareya" count?

And I only genuinely care how people are if their answer is "Fine." or the like. If they get into some long schpiel about how they're REALLY doing, yeah, I tune 'em out. Unless, I really, really care about what that person has to say. Is that heartless and cold? :)

4:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know what you mean Sa. This guy the other day asked me how I was doing and I was like, "oh, you know, my cat died. I'm a little bipolar and in a down cycle. And I want to meet my future eternal companion." I'm kidding. My cat didn't die, I only think I'm a little bipolar, and okay, I DO want to meet my future husband. Is that too personal? :o) Wouldn't that be funny, though?

2:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home