Monday, November 21, 2005

"Earth To America" Or "Crappety-Crap-Crap"?

I'd been anticipating the TBS special "Earth To America" for at least a week. I mean, what comedy program could be better? It was scheduled to have performances by Tom Hanks, Steve Martin, Martin Short, Larry David, David Letterman, Conan O'Brien, and many others. I was so impressed by the lineup, that I decided to record it.

Sadly, about 10 minutes into the show, I realized the program was an inside joke for the liberal celebrities of the country. It was a politically-charged piece of -- Do I dare say it? Yes, I think I will. It was a politically-charged piece of CRAP. The only really good things it had going for it was the stand-up performances of Cedric the Entertainer and Larry David and a blue grass musical number by Steve Martin, Eric Idle, and Tom Hanks. The funny thing is that the musical number didn't include words! (Incidentally, Steve Martin is extremely entertaining as a banjo-player.)

It's good that celebrities are trying to use their influence for such a positive thing as energy conservation, I guess. But why do some have to make EVERYTHING so incredibly liberal? Yeah, that's a good idea -- blame global warming on President Bush and the rest of America's conservatives! They're the only ones who don't pay attention to environmental crises. Yeah! And the reason everyone can tell that conservatives don't care about the world is because they don't spout out democratic values and liberal standards every time they get a chance. !!!

I know some of the performers just wanted to get the word out to stop global warming, but then jerks like Bill Maher, Wanda Sykes, and Kevin Nealon turn it into a "liberal democrats are good, conservative republicans are the devil" argument. Sometimes I think people like Bill Maher, especially, just say what they say because they have to keep up their acts. What would people say, for example, if Maher decided to tone it down? I mean, how are we to respond to Maher, anyway? Are we to relax, thinking, "It's a good thing he put 300 million people in their places!"

Uh, I guess I'll just stop my rant now before I explode. Actually, I'm not even mad. I don't consider myself as belonging to any particular political party. But I AM bothered. I'm tired of extremist groups on either side getting in my face about "how the world should be run." And that's not really such a bad thing -- it's just that extremists share their opinions in such moronic ways sometimes.

Thing I'm thankful for: Hm. The maybe 200 million Americans who use their minds and mouths intelligently and appropriately excercise their right to free speech?

1 Comments:

Blogger Lauren said...

I hear ya.

7:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home