Tuesday, October 18, 2005

The Sacred Grove

I will confess now that I'm a little wary about putting comments of the Sacred Grove on my blog. But I want you to see what it actually looks like. "It's just a forest," you could say. But it's special because it's part of who I am.

It's very peaceful in the Grove. There were lots of other people walking around as well, but it's large enough for everyone to have their own isolated areas once in a while. One of the first things I noticed about the Grove -- this may sound odd -- is the forest floor. I mean it. I wish streets were composed of the soft, springy soil that makes up the ground there. It's wonderful, and I'm not the only one who noticed. Lexi said it felt good under her feet.

I should probably mention that nobody knows the exact spot where Joseph Smith saw Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. There are no markers. You just walk around and know that the LDS Church made a pretty accurate estimation.

This is one entrance to the Grove:





This is my favorite tree in the Sacred Grove. It's young and lush, and it's the perfect canopy for shade. I took this picture with my camera facing the sky, and see how the tree blocks the sun?


The stones in the next picture are part of what comprised the western boundary of the Smith Farm so long ago. I will make the same kind of comment I made about a tree in the Smith Farm post. That is, it's amazing that I could be standing on the very same rocks the Smiths moved to build their wall. I love historical sites and landmarks for the connection they give you to the past. It's so wonderful!


Mom took this picture of Lexi, Lauren, and me. I know it's fuzzy, but try to admire the compostition and color of the image. It's perfect.


Here's some lichen we noticed on an old tree. It's kinda pretty . . . for a parasite.


Looks like I'm not the only one who thought so . . .


Thing I'm thankful for: The First Vision.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Sara, I liked the tree which is your favorite young tree in the grove too! I called it the UMBRELLA TREE because it seemed like an umbrella from the sun. Or a parasol. MOM

5:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home