Thursday, January 19, 2012

Holding Hands

I realize what I'm about to write will give some people the wrong idea about me. They'll laugh and say I should probably keep things like this to myself, just in case I drive potential suitors far, far away. But this here blog is about me and my life and my thoughts. And for some reason, I like to share them. So here goes . . .

As I was finishing up my grocery shopping tonight, I saw a very blonde toddler slowly walking in the middle of the aisle just a little too far away from anybody who looked like a parent. I'd put him at about a year and a half. He was holding two bags of candy in his left hand. (I remember at least one of them was gummy worms.) I looked around for any indication of a parent or guardian, but no one seemed to be taking an interest in him. I caught his attention and said, "Do you know where your mommy is?" He just looked at me blankly. I pointed to a couple nearby and said, "Is that your mommy and daddy?" He didn't seem to understand, so I crouched down beside him and noticed that he had a runny, dirty nose. He hadn't been crying, but it was clear he had a cold. I told him I'd take him to the front of the store, so we could find his mom, and he basically stayed close to me. He seemed to be struggling with the candy a bit, so I held the bags for him and grabbed his hand. Ohhh, that little hand. It was dirty and chubby, but small.

It was magical. Something magical happens to me when I am with kids. I feel like my best self when I am with them. They love me, and I love them. What I wanted to do in that moment was pick the little guy up, but I wasn't sure he'd be okay with that. Perhaps I was too much of a stranger. But as we walked, I knew he wouldn't have minded. Still, I settled for hand-holding and led him to a security officer, who made his announcement on the PA system. I hoped it would take the mom several minutes to get to the front of the store because I wanted to keep holding the boy's hand. She appeared in less than a minute, though, carrying a baby in her arm.

And that was that. Nothing too grandiose. But I wanted to remember it.

I am not baby crazy. I want to find a husband and be married for a bit before I have kids. When I have kids, though, I will be one of the best moms you've ever seen. I'm not confident about many things, but I know that.


Thing I'm thankful for: my mom's phone calls.

7 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

You'll definitely be an AWESOME mom!

....And you can always play with my kids. :)

6:58 AM  
Blogger Aubrey said...

I'm gonna be a bad mom. Your descriptions of runny noses and dirty hands just makes me curl my lip and nose up. I'm a horrible person.

7:56 AM  
Blogger Cory McHardy said...

I cannot imagine that you'd be anything but a awesome mom. You just come across as that kind of a person. :)

11:23 AM  
Blogger Lexia said...

I'm in desperate search of a tissue box right now. That was the saddest, nicest, warmest thing I've ever read. I felt like I was there in that grocery store with you and could see that little boy. I wish I was like you when it comes to your child skills. You're like mom that way - you just always know what to do with kids at any age. Well, I have to go now because I need to reread this story. For some reason it made me feel like I too could be a great mom. Ha! Ha!

1:50 PM  
Blogger cardlady said...

haha! I thought this post was going to be about holding a guy's hand. BUT, Oh so much better! I,too, like Lexia, could see you in the isle with that little guy and making him very comfortable. And I understood you did not want to cross that line of ownership of the little one, which too many people do these days. Very smart and cautious, but protective, you were. I am proud of you and know you and Lexia will be very good mom's to your children. I, also know you have been taught to love others children and teach them as well. Good for you Sara! Good deed well done. Ping! Angel crown! Love MOM

2:44 AM  
Blogger Amanda Leigh said...

Sara you are soooo sweet. I loved this post and I just have to say... well duh!! You're going to be the best mom EVER.

10:10 AM  
Blogger Travel With Lulu said...

That's really awesome! There are a lot of moms out there that aren't good with kids in general, so it sounds like you will be a great mom, and a great mom to your kids friends :) Such a sweet story. Thank you for sharing it with Post Of The Month Club - it is great to have you there! XOLaura

11:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home