Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Happy One Year to Me!

Well, I've been in Austin for a year. I am happy to report that I'm glad I'm here. It took me a while to like this crazy place, but I do, in fact, like it now.

I was reading through my posts from January and February of last year, and boy, were they bleak. Just look at this one: In the Wee, Small Hours of the Morning, or Free Associations about Texas. In hindsight, I can see I wasn't happy, but I was trying to be -- at least, I was trying to sound positive. It's difficult to remember the pain now, but when I read those old posts, it's obvious I was sad. Sad and quiet and lonely.

In some ways, I would say this has been a long and difficult year, but then I ask myself, "Would I do it again?" The simple answer is yes. Yes, I would do it again, except I would've moved here a semester early. Why didn't I? Because I was scared of change, anxious to leave people behind, and worried I was making a wrong choice.

There really was only one wrong choice, though, and God let me know pretty clearly what that wrong choice was (going to the University of North Carolina, if you're wondering). Apart from that, He allowed me to do what I wanted. So here I am, in Texas, where the weather is too warm for this time of year, and I don't get to take advantage of my beloved winter clothes.

But as I said earlier, I like it here. I like it here for several little reasons and a few big ones. For now, I will keep the big reasons to myself, but you can read about the little ones in a similarly-themed post, Thing I'm Thankful for: Austin. :)


Thing I'm thankful for: Cuties. They really are delicious; they are a staple food item to me now.

1 Comments:

Blogger Cory McHardy said...

Congratulations on your first year! I'm only half way through mine. :P
This is a very interesting place, Austin. I've been surprised at how many people seem to be in the same boat.

9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home